Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Pentax

Old Dec 29, 2005, 1:06 PM   #1

I've just been given a Pentax Optio 33LF for Christmas. My mother's had it for a year and a bit but never used it, aside from snapping a few pics around the house on the internal memory card. On that (the internal card) all seems to work fine.

I inserted a brand new 256MB SD memory card. Carefully following the instructions, I tried to format it. I took this through to the point where my camera LCD said it was 'formatting' and then *poof* the screen went black and my camera turned itself off.

I tried it several times. I tried it with a new 16MB SD card, in case the 256MB had been too big? Yet all to no avail.

Can anyone possibly tell me what's wrong, and what I can do to make my camera format and successfully use a SD card!

Thanks.
Leoba is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 29, 2005, 3:05 PM   #2

It may be because the card is not compatible with the camera. Try checking that it runs on SD, otherwise it may be your camera card slot which has gone wrong.
-- The Story of the problem --

The camera starts reading from the card, but then the card reacts with the camera, and the camera shuts down either to prevent a problem, or just because while reading the card the card chip is not working, and decides to turn the camera off.

I am not sure, its worth buying a new card, otherwise just give it to the shop and ask the sales assistant.

Thank you,
Shock260.
Shock260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2006, 10:39 AM   #3

Thanks for replying.

I have tried two different cards, two different brands (one Toshiba, the other from Jessops), so I suspect a trip to the camera will have to be in order.

What a nuisance!
Old Jan 1, 2006, 11:37 AM   #4

Leoba-

The Pentax 33LF is an older digicam. Check the batteries first, then use a 128mb SD chip/card or smaller. The digicam may be limited to a max size card of 128mb.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2006, 7:12 AM   #5

That's what I've done. Using a brand new CR-V3 battery, I tried installing a 16mb SD card.

That surely can't be too large?

Old Apr 23, 2006, 10:58 PM   #6

I have an Optio33Lf and also had trouble formatting a 1GB memory card. I stuck the memory card in a card reader on my computer, formatted it on my computer, and it works just fine. So if you can get access to a computer that can take memory cards you might want to give that a try.
iam425 is offline   Reply With Quote