Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Pentax

Old Jan 31, 2006, 1:27 AM   #1

I know this has been discussed in various places around here but there doesn't seem to be an answer at all so I'll start a new thread to ask again!

My S4 was working fine until a few weeks ago when movies started to jitter on playback. I didn't give it much thought but whilst on holiday with the camera last week movies just stopped working. They would record normally, show writing to the media but for some reason the timing on the resultant files was totally screwed. 10Mb files would be created for a full 60 second capture but could only be recognised as a 0 second movie and display the first frame. I ran some of the movie files through a repair utility which improved the movies a bit but they still played incorrectly (fast and jerky)...

Then, after formatting the SD card in my PC the S4 screen stopped working. I didn't get A90 though, just couldn't do anything. In my hurry to try and fix it I ended up going into the secret menu and initialising the camera before I checked to see if I could get the necessary firmware update...Consequently it's now giving A90...

I've tried sticking the S4i, the S and many other firmwares on the camera but every single one that I try does nothing with Menu+Power or says File Error 0x1001 if I use FW Update in the secret menu.

I contacted Pentax UK who said "
Thank you for your e-mail regarding your camera, I have spoken to our senior technician and he has advised that the problem you mention is not firmware but a problem that will need repairing and you will need to take it to a Pentax authorized repairer." but I naturally am sceptical after reading everything in these forums..

Has anyone out there had any luck with finding a solution to get an S4 back up and running after A90? What about an S4 firmware? Any variety would do... I know that if I take this to a service centre they're just going to flash it and claim that they had to replace the board whilst charging loads of money and I'd rather just throw the camera in the bin than pay through the nose to get it fixed......

voodood is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 31, 2006, 3:44 PM   #2

Pentax UK say

Your camera is having an A90 error,
Unfortunately there is no firmware update available for the Optio S4.
The A90 error code is an electrical fault in the camera, it will need to be sent in for repair

True?
voodood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2006, 6:27 AM   #3

found it? I found, I have fwdc114p.bin :G

my pentax plays again
Hrant75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2006, 8:55 AM   #4

Hi - could you tell me where you found it as I'm in the exact same position. Mine was kinda working and then I applied the update and got the dreaded A90.

Cheers,

Joe
joes123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2007, 5:28 AM   #5

Hi, my S4 also has the dreaded A90 code and will not switch on. Can you provide advice on how it can be fixed? Thanks
ara424 is offline   Reply With Quote