Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Pentax

Old Mar 25, 2006, 12:10 PM   #1

How do I convert a video clip so that it plays on the optio s6-a10?

Have tried the settings for Virtual Dub given in the thread to use the optio s5n-s5z as a portable video player. Not surprised it doesn't work since the s6 uses an other format?

Anyone any suggestions?

/tz
taizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 26, 2006, 12:05 PM   #2

Yes it's tempting to use the big bright display for other movies than what the camera produce. I have tried to create files but they're just wont play. If you open a "camera-produced" video file in Virtual Dub and then make a "direct stream copy" of both sound and video it wont play. One thing I have noticed is that if you open a camera file in G-spot or in a hex viewer the "ISFT: Software" line is "PENTAX Optio S6" if you change to Optio S5 it will not play on the camera, change back to S6 and the file is playable again. I guess the answer to produce compatible files is to find out how to build the avi-header exactly like the original file.

It could also be that the camera store information in the built-in memory about the produced files, check sums or something like that...I dont know really. Would be interesting to try files produced on an other S6 to eliminate that theory.

I will upload a small clip from my camera if someone will try on their optio S6, let me know if the file will play.

http://s24.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3...41UJ7BGR0HCYUS

BiTRATE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2006, 7:27 AM   #3

Your movie plays on my optio A10 if I change "ISFT: Software" to PENTAX Optio A10.

I can see the preview if I zoom out to get nine picture on the display even if I don't change but not play it!
Old Mar 30, 2006, 6:26 AM   #4

Ok then we can exclude that the files are "camera specific".
I still think that it have to do with the properties in the avi-header. The tricky part is to create an avi-header that the camera vill accept. If you save a "direct stream copy" Virtual Dub add and replace some information in the header. I seems like the ISFT: Software" line moves from line 16 to the end of the file (viewed in a hex-viewer) Virtualdub also adds other stuff but I dont know if that will affect the compability with the camera. I have tried to move the ISFT: Software" line up to row 16 again but that does not work.

Any suggestions someone?
Old Mar 31, 2006, 5:35 PM   #5

I encode the moviewith divx 5.2.1 in VirtualDuband then edit the .AVI file in a hexeditor.I just paste the "LIST, INFOISFT PENTAX Optio A10 " line just before the LISTxxxxmovi01wb tag.

You get picture and sound though the movie is distored. Maybe it's because the camera lacks memory? I use bitrate 1000 kb/s, 320x240 and keyframe interval 10. What setting do you think would work better?
Old Apr 1, 2006, 9:30 AM   #6

Which audio-codec did you use?
Old Apr 1, 2006, 11:24 AM   #7

No audio, just the video stream. But it works with audio... uncompressed any samplerate, stereo/mono, what ever you want.

Tried different resolutions. The camera seems to be able to playback just about any you choose.

The problem is still that it looks distored?

Do you get the same result?
Old Apr 1, 2006, 2:28 PM   #8

My S6 dosent play anything I have encoded so far. It just dispay " the file cannot be played". Do you have a small clip encoded in Virtual Dub for me to try on my S6?
Old Apr 2, 2006, 11:19 AM   #9

Ok...

This is a short clip from basic instinct.
720x434, 30 fps, keyframe interval 10, divx 5.2.1
11025 Hz, 16bit, mono

This one plays on my pentax optio a10
http://media6.uploadjar.com/file.php...s/imgp0576.avi

In this one I've changed the tag to optio s6 so it should play on your camera.
http://media6.uploadjar.com/file.php...s/imgp0576.avi

Can you see the distortions mainly around moving edges. Do you have any ideas how to make it look better?
Old Apr 3, 2006, 7:00 AM   #10

My S6 will not play the files you provided. I have tried to change the INFOISFT to PENTAX Optio S6 but the files cannot be played.

Maybe there is some differences between A10 and S6 when it comes to video playback.

When I watch your files in mediaplayer I notice the lack of quality you mentioned. Picture is distored around moving edges. The quality look "low bitrate".