Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Pentax

Old Apr 3, 2006, 6:00 PM   #1

I am looking at possibly purchasing the Pentax W10 and was wondering if anyone has one and what they think of it. What is good and not about the camera.
lbarmos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 4, 2006, 5:12 AM   #2

I recently got a W10, and like the matt finish on the LCD, makes it good to see in bright light.

The icons look a bit low-res, as if they'd been taken from a 1.5inch screen and just enlarged, so that's not all that good, makes it look a bit cheap.

The flash is pretty good for a camera of its size.

The zoom in movie mode is horrible...I'vehad several cameras that I use for movies (Fuji 603m, Sanyo Xacti C6 and Casio P505)and at most you get a mild clicking....on the W10 it sounds awful!!! so disable it is my opinon unless absolutely neccessary.

Haven't used it underwater yet, will do so in the summer I guess, but all in all for its price a good camera I'd say.

Hope this helps

Vince
vincesd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2006, 11:22 PM   #3

I just got a W10, and I'm still getting to know it. So far, I'm favorably impressed.

Photo quality seems to be good. There are trade-offs with this type of lens, but I've seen nothing to complain about.

Auto white balance is likely to guess wrong in any situations other than direct sunlight, but that's no surprise. ISO 800 is noisy, but that's not a surprise, either. With all "enhancement" settings at minimum, I think ISO 800 is usable with post-processing.

I really like the arrangement of menus and options. It is much easier to navigate than any other camera I've seen.

I would happily do without some of the 25(!) "shooting modes" if I could have a little more direct control over exposure. Exposure lock and focus lock would be nice to have, too. I know I'll miss them occasionally.

The camera is generally very responsive, but there is some excessive stiffness in the shutter button, which makes it difficult to avoid camera shake. I hope I will learn to deal with this or compensate for it.

All in all, I'm encouraged. I am hopeful that this will work well as a camera to carry with me at all times.
Robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2006, 12:40 AM   #4

thinking of purchasing the w10 befpre this weekend. any advice before then appreciated. what are the indoor pics with flash like, are they sharp and clear. are the pics without a flash dull and grainy. what about the redeye reduction dows it work ok. action shots, are they blurry. how are close-ups have you taken any pics of a sunset or at night. are the underwater shots clear. i know stop already with the questions
wdchuk58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2006, 6:45 PM   #5

I'll try to answer some of your questions, wdchuk, but remember that nobody has had this camera very long. My answers represent early impressions, and I may well change my mind with more experience.

I can't say much about flash, because I try to avoid using it. I have tried the "soft flash" option a few times,though, and I think I'll continue using it when light is too poor for available light photography.

Photos taken at ISO 800 are quite noisy. I think that's what you had in mind when you asked about grainy indoor photos without flash. There's also some obvious noise at ISO 400. Many people would declare the noise to be unusable, but I believe it can be dealt with in post-processing. It just depends on how much you believe in avoiding flash.

I don't know about redeye reduction or underwater use, but I'm very happy with the camera's macro capability. Action shots should be no problem in bright light.
Old Apr 16, 2006, 7:28 PM   #6

is the is800's noisiness too much for a 4x6? thats the largest i would be printing, most likely, so would it that bad that 4x6s would be look bad?
cantbeyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2006, 9:36 PM   #7

Here's an ISO 800 photo, 1/15 second, f/3.3. I've done no post-processing, other than resizing. Viewed at this size, I think it's a reasonably good representation of how a 4x6 print would look. (But I would not print it without some contrast/sharpening enhancements.)

Just to report a few other observations about the W10: my first battery charge lasted a few hours more than seven days, during which time 96 pictures were taken, most without flash. The second charge has lasted nine days so far, with 64 photos so far, again mostly without flash. The W10 remembered its settings and its clock remained accurate while the battery was charging out of the camera, overnight.

I've never felt a need to protect the LCD on my other pocket cameras, and it has never been a problem. But this one is already showing scratches after slightly more than two weeks.
Attached Images

Old Apr 17, 2006, 11:07 PM   #8

Thanks for the updates.. keep us posted.
vwmom is offline   Reply With Quote