Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Pentax

Old Apr 13, 2006, 9:55 PM   #1

Hey, I just received my W10 and tried using its water-proof feature:|!!!YAY!

Well, the thing is, I had the camera take a little dip in the aquarium and take some pics and movies of the fish, awesome feature I have to say.

However, it seems that water isnotleaking into the sealed portion of the battery + memory card BUT can come into the battery latch? AND the front grainy portion's border had a small space in between and can hold about a couple of DROPS of water?!

Please tell me this is normal, I don't want anything to happen but if they do I want to know.
Fish Mode is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 15, 2006, 2:49 AM   #2

OK, I think since nobody's getting what I'm trying to get at, I'll make it a little more simplified...

Should water be dripping after water-submission from the protective lens cover? It seems that mine is dripping about a couple of drops of water...

Another issue is the battery cap...should water be getting into that? Water SEEMS (I'm hoping) to not be able to get into the water-sealed area...but is it normal to have water IN the battery cap but is around the seal-cover???those that have them?

Thanks all for replying, yes please reply!!
Fish Mode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2006, 5:31 PM   #3

I don't think you should see any water leaking from the sealed lens area, however, you may be just seeing the water which naturally adheres to the surface, especially the cornered edges. Can you confirm that the water is actually penetrating the seal? If it is, I would return the camera. Try drying off the surface water and then looking for extended water leaking out. This could be a sign of a bad seal.

As for the battery compartment, it is natural for water to get inside the slide cover --- the rubber seal does not cover the entire area, so it will get water in it. No harm though, because the sealed area is all that matters.

BTW, I bought my W10 for a trip in April to Costa Maya and Cozumel, Mexico, and a whitewater rafting this summer. I used it snorkelling on 2 different occasions with good results, 2nd time was up to an hour in the water. I even dropped it in 8-10 feet of water in a dolphin-swim area, where it rested at the bottom for 15-20 minutes before they retrieved it (got upset when I tried to remove my life-vest to get it myself!). Anyway, the camera worked great afterward, and there was no water in the compartment.Can't recommend exceeding the specs, but, mine held up well. Just make sure the rubber seal never dries out and you should be OK.
cirdata is offline   Reply With Quote