Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Pentax

Old Apr 30, 2006, 7:24 PM   #1

Hey guys, I was just wondering what's the difference in movie mode; 3 stars, 2 stars, and the 1 star mode?

I tried them out, the 3 and 1 stars and found no appreciable difference in quality - video that is. Is it compression? What good will that do me? Compared to the 15 minutes at 3 stars (1gB) to the 30 minutes for the 1 star, I think I'll choose the one star. ..

That's right, I'm cool and I get star number one!!:|

OH, I forgot to say I have the W10

If I can find a free video-upload site I'll even give some movies underwater...anyone?

here's a little peak

Attached Images

Fish Mode is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 1, 2006, 10:42 PM   #2

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...88071005708339

Well, I've got into google and it took awhile but its done...enjoy.

Fish Mode
Old May 3, 2006, 6:13 PM   #3

Hi, great cam and great shots:

but did You do any postprocessing- on my PC the videos look rather intelaced and lost much of vertical resolution due to jagginess?

Best and happy shooting, JR

Reps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2006, 6:18 PM   #4

And BTW: if I am not mistaken then 3stars= 640x480 30fps HQ, 2stars=640x480 fps NQ (and as it is DivX (alias MPEG4) You barely notice the difference...) but 1star= 320x240 15fps- guess what happens... But compared to my Casio Z750 video... of course I can not drop it in the tank :-( and hope that Your video quality is due to site uplod/display problems...

Best and happy shooting/filming, JR

Old May 3, 2006, 6:24 PM   #5

And sorry again- too busy with other stuff (real one of course...) and missed that MJPEG video- but still the case is the same as higher mentioned- if I would be You I'd rather invest in higher capacity SD card rather than lower the reso/fps... :-)

Best, JR

Old May 3, 2006, 8:37 PM   #6

NO, I didn't do anything to the clip. It was straight directly from the card. The sound quality of the W10 is horrible. But that's because its seal - records all kinds of noise from your fingers... But...I'm not really sure why there is a clicking, must be from the filter.

I'm not so sure that the quality of the movie goes down when it's one star? It's all set at 640 and 30 fps, only change would be stars. The amount of video I'm able to put in is fine, I also have another identicalcard so it doesn't really matter. Fun to capture the movies though, the fishes have no clue what I'm doing so there're just hanging around until I get too close:-)

Another thing for folks out there, the light in movie mode is not the greatest as well, I've found that the movies in not so lit areas exhibit all sorts of colors, as seen in the movie.Just an FYI, the aquarium is lit plenty strong, yet the movie came out to be like that. I wouldn't assume anything, but I'm pretty sure that if I were to take this camera out in the sun, the movie image would be great. Just don't use the camera for its movie only...use it for its MACRO! I just love how close it can get, amazing:?

EDIT: YEAH, video.google definately has made the video look totally darker than it actually is, the movie's lighting on my PC looks fine, if anyone wants it, they can PM me and I'll send it to them. When school comes out, I'll be able to go fishing some and hopefully take some 'in action' I CAN'T WAIT!

Have fun, good luck

Fish Mode
Old May 31, 2006, 12:19 PM   #7

"Clicking" noise is not a filter but it's the sound of focusing system. I've made some tests and you will not hear any "clicking" noise with manual focus function activated. However, if you activate autofocus, you will hear "clicking" noises again.
Very bad thing, movie mode is very important for me...
bandito66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2006, 8:59 PM   #8

You can also set it to Pan Focus (PF) if you don't want to hear any clicking noises.
Gil1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2006, 11:37 AM   #9

Hey I have a Optio 43WR and I have been wondering how to upload to google videos and U tube. Every time I have tried to upload a short clip I get this message saying it is too big of a file. 240 mgb. 100 mgb is the max on these upload sites. I think the mov file is to big so I am going to try to convert it to MPEG4. I did actually and it is a lot smaller now 29 mgb. to be exact. But the quality is not as good.
Attached Images

moh2o is offline   Reply With Quote