Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Pentax

Old May 25, 2006, 11:15 AM   #1

Going to Costa Rico this summer and am very interested in the Optio W10 since it will handle the rain forest. Steve's gives a glowing review, but CNET only gives a 6 out of 10. The reviewer is not very impressed. I am curious how folks can help me reconcile the conflicting reviews. Here's a link to the Cnet review: http://reviews.cnet.com/Pentax_Optio...2.html?tag=nav

Thanks,
Eliot
Eliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 25, 2006, 7:45 PM   #2

I do not see much conflict between the reviews. Steve usually evaluates a camera in terms of its category or market niche. In those terms, the W10 ranks very high among pocket sized, waterproof cameras.

Cnet is evaluating the camera in more absolute terms, so it rates it a somewhat above average camera that happens to be waterproof and pocket sized.

If you are willing to spend more, and if you are willing to carry more bulky equipment, you can certainly do better. If the issues raised by Cnet are crucial to your shooting style, you probably should look elsewhere.

However, if you want a small, convenient camera that provides reasonable (but not outstanding) performance, I recommend the W10. Look again at the Cnet numberical ratings: performance is average, but design and image quality are good, and the feature set is very good.

You could do a lot worse! But again, it depends on your style.
Robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2006, 7:32 AM   #3

Rob,

Thanks for putting the Cnet review in context. From the other positive comments I have read about the W10, I will most likely purchase it. I don't want bulk in the rain forest. I want convenience and waterproof protection.

Regards,
Eliot
Eliot is offline   Reply With Quote