Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Pentax

Old Sep 18, 2006, 10:20 AM   #11

I've got the same problem on my S5i, 18 months old.The fault happened after three months but reverted to normal and I thopught it was a battery fault.Can't find the secrte menue and now I've just sent it back to Pentax. They will give free estimate if there is a charge.

Yanbu
yanbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2006, 6:07 PM   #12

My S4 developped the same problem in September (2006). It was 2 years and 9 months old by then.

josephjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2006, 10:07 PM   #13

I have been searching this forum for hours now and have followed the instructions as posted by others. My cam is Optio S4. Now the error A90 never went out...and it seems like i can never use my cam again.

I have tried to follow what the others suggested...till i reeached the end of the forum... I just noticed... No one has claimed that their S4 was fixed using this method.

I dunno what to do now....my cam is much of no use than it was earlier..

I tried looking for update also thru the net...and i didnt find anything that is compatible to S4..... its either for S, S4i, S5...... i tried all these firmware and sould still get the same error..

Hope someone can give me the link on this update....:?

HELP!!
optio_tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2007, 2:33 AM   #14

It is probably the same as my S5I . there is a small watch type battery under the board that has the memory card holder. Mine would not turn on but beet 4 times. the battery was .75volts,it should be 1.5 volts. I replaced the battery and it workes fine.It usualy happens after hollidays (hot OR cold weather) which runs down the battery. My guess is those who update the firmware are only getting succsess because the camera has been left for a wile and the battery has regenerated a small amount of voltage (as batteries do). I hope this helps you.

Regards Andy
batteryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2007, 5:22 PM   #15
imh

After 1 hour reading and traying I was able to SOLVE this problem!
My Pentax Optio S4i was also working only just as a card reader with green light on. Now I am able to take photos again !!!! I hope this will help you !

First, make "system initial" in service menu/rom update. After that, upgrade firmware. Third, try to change MICON WDT in service menu/rom update. Take out/put in the battery. Start S4i. You should see the Service menu. Press "Menu" button on the camera case. The camera is working :|

When not, maybe i did also "Micon update" during this setup /before or after Micon WTT change/. When still no success, try now again "menu initial" and load firmware again.

Only problem - now, everytime I start the camera, I see the service menu first...
imh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2007, 11:46 AM   #16
imh

imh wrote:
Quote:
Updated - After 1 hour reading and traying I was able to FIX this problem!
My Pentax Optio S4i was also working only just as a card reader with green light on. Now I am able to take photos again !!!! I hope this will help you !

Find on this forum how to activate service menu and change item "MICON WDT" in service menu/rom update.Take out/put in the battery. Start S4i. You should see the Service menu. Press "Menu" button on the camera case.

If it shows A90 problem or the camera is still not working, try next:

1. Make "system initial" in service menu/rom update
(this will unfortunetly uncover software-hidden death
pixels).
2. Upgrade firmware
3. Start service menu
4. Change MICON WDT (in service menu/rom update).
5. Take out/put in the battery.
6. Start normally S4i. (camera shows the Service menu)
7. Press "Menu" button on the camera case.

The camera should be working :|

When still no success, try to do again 3.-7.
Only problem - now, everytime I start the camera, I see the service menu first...
imh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2007, 5:32 PM   #17

I had the identical problem. I tried using a new battery but that didn't help. Then I tried a new memory card and things were back to normal. I swappedthe new memory card for the old memory card and the problem returned. Try a new memory card !
stanfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2007, 5:50 PM   #18

After doing the fixes, I still just get the "A90" on the screen. The lens won't come out. Any other ideas? My camera is more than two years old.
KaraR32 is offline   Reply With Quote