Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Pentax

Old May 25, 2006, 12:30 PM   #1

When I press the power button the green light around the power button turns on and the top green light next to the viewfinder turns on but the lens does not come out and the lcd does not turn on. It doesn't make any noise and doesn't appear to be stuck. Anyone know what's going on?
Robespierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 31, 2006, 2:18 PM   #2

Hi,

Just an update. My camera is still broken. Called pentax and they say the circuit board needs to be replaced but to me this looks like a software issue. What it looks like its doing is that it thinks its still in the mode where the usb adapter is plugged in and it is ready to download pictures.

Anyway.. i made it to the secret menu. Is there anywhere I can get instructions on what these menu options do? Is there anywhere in there I can reset to default settings or something like that. I'm assuming that the format option isn't a good choice.

Thanks
Old May 31, 2006, 2:44 PM   #3

1. ROM UPDATE
    [/*]
    1. FLASH INITITIAL[/*]
      Code:
          ==================
      FLASH INITIALIZE
      START...
      PUSH OK KEY?
      ==================
    2. MICON WDT ON
      [/*]
    3. MICON UPDATE[/*]
    4. SH TW UPDATE[/*]
    5. SYSTEM INITIALIZE[/*]
    6. MENU CHECKSUM[/*]
Another site says SYSTEM INITIALIZE will break everything .. anyone know what FLASH INITIAL does?
Old May 31, 2006, 10:12 PM   #4

I had this same problem. I removed the memory card and the camera worked with it's internal memory. So I replaced the memory card. It seemed to be working fine, until I just tried to download the pictures onto the computer. As soon as I plug in the cord, the lense retracts and the screen goes blank and I can't get any menus. Camera does the same thing with ot without the card in it. It's basically the same problem you're having and that I had before, but different circumstances.

I don't know what the secret menu is, but perhaps this added info will help you? Also, I don't use a particular program to transfer photos. I just drag them over to my HD. I guess I can take the card to Ritz and have them put the images on CD, but that's kind of not the point, is it!

Anyone?
jodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2006, 8:24 AM   #5

Hi

Ive been reading about how many people have pentaxoptio cameras with astuck lens, and extensive problems with their cameras, ive got the same problem and have gone as far as a consumer commission complaint, only reply i got was try a group effort, maybe then they will listen, I am willing to go the mile, all I need is lots of other people with the same problem, write us and we will see what we can do!
bini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2006, 6:12 AM   #6

I have the same problem with my Pentax S4 too - I was told the Motherboard needed replacing and with labour it was going to cost $257. I asked if they could get the images of the camera and they said it was not possible.

Interesting that you think that the software is the problem.

How did you get to the secret menu?

PS I only had the camera for about 2 years.
beckymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2006, 5:41 PM   #7

Hi. I have a Pentax optio S4i with (basically) the same problem: When I turn the camera on the ring around the power button lights up (green). After a short period the camera shots down with three short beeps.

I have had the camera for exactly 2 years now. (Danish waranty is 2 years -wonder if they put a time bomb in these cameras??)

I have tried the secret menu and did the system initialize followed by a firmware update using the file fwdc124p.bin. Unfortunately it did not help.

If any one else experience the same problem please write. It is interesting to know if there is a lot of 2 year old cameras having startup problems!

For info:
The "secret menu" on the optio S4i is accessed in the following way:

Press the power + flash (or garbage) + menu button.
A white screen with black text appears on the LCD.
Press the right button to the right of the ok button twice.
Press the display botton twice
Pres the menu botton once.

And you enters the world of....the Secret menu...:-)

Up til now I have not managed to ruin the camera more than it already is...

Hope some one finds a solution to the problem -and post in soon.

-SHJensen
shjensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2006, 10:19 PM   #8

I´ve got the same problem with my S4.
Has anyone succefully fixed this problem???
It was working fine this afternoon, turned off and when I tryied to turn on again the lens wouldn´t come out.
AeroFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2006, 2:29 PM   #9

Hi - I've just experienced the same problem. The green ring around the power button did illuminate and then the green light by the viewfinder also.

Now all that happens is the green light by the viewfinder illuminates when the battery is inserted. The power button does nothing at all. The LCD doesn't power upso there's no way of accessing the 'secret menu' (thoughI wouldn't know what to do even if I could access it!). With or without the memory card connecting it to my laptop makes no difference... it just seems to have conveniently died - it's taken a knock or two but nothing to put it out of action lately

My camera (S4) is also only just over 2 years old. There's only 1 year's warranty in the UK.

I will phone Pentax UK but I'm sure the cost of a fix would be close to that of buying a new one. It will probably be the same story as in other countries.

Let's hope one of us comes across something useful or has an extremely bright idea because I'm sure we all agree it's kinda lame for our machines just to stop working!

There's a Sony TV switched on in my living room right nowthat my parents bought when I was 5 years old... I'm 28 now and it still works so why can't I get at least just a couple more years out of my Pentax??? It's been great but for the time being it is an Altoids tin-sized piece of junk...

Will keep looking for answers...take it steady...

J-PStorrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2006, 9:15 PM   #10

I have an optio s a bit less than 2 yrs old.

same problem. power light comeson for a few seconds then shuts down.

Idid get the display tocome to a menu by holding down some buttons while hitting the power button.

I'm very interested in a solution. I really like this camera.

Phil
pbarr is offline   Reply With Quote