Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Pentax

Old Jun 1, 2006, 8:41 AM   #1

Hi.
I got a problem with my camera (Optio MX-4). Since last month i can´t turn it on any way. The battery is ok and completely recharged but when i push the on/off button it begins to inicialize, turn on the display, shows the banner "OPTIO Digital Photo and Movie" for 5 seconds, then turn to program mode and quickly (1 second) turn everything off with four short beeps. Itallow me to use the voice recorder function, and navigate the menu if i start it up in the voice recorder mode. But once i switch it over to either picture mode or viewer mode it shuts off.
Here in Brazil its not an official imported model. The local customer service here does not have any information about this camera and told me to send it to Pentax in Japan. That is the why i am trying first to have some technical advice. I think it could be something related to the logical configuration of the camera instead of fisical problem. Any Help?
ricardopqd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 2, 2006, 10:18 AM   #2

I was actually searching around to find out about this, as i have this same camera (well, its the 3.2mp) and am having a very similar problem. It started out with the not turning on problem. I can now get it to turn on about 60% of the time (it took some gentle tapping to get it to decide it might like to work.) Now some days it works, and works pretty much ok... other times it turns on but when i try to zoom it totally loses focus. I'm thinking the problem has something to do with the way the lenses move on the inside, and them either being stuck or catching on each other, or something just not being connected properly. I first suspected this when listening to the sounds it makes when it tries to start up unsucessfully- usually you can hear things moving in side as it sets up, and if its not going to work you just cant hear the same noises. The weird blurring zoom (it doesnt zoom at all, just changes the focus) adds to my suspicion that something isnt connecting right.

I'll be interested to know if this is a common issue with this camera. I read nothing about it before I got it, or else i would have been more reluctant. If anyone else has had this problem, please post! Thanks!
Ssorca19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2006, 11:08 AM   #3

Oh yes. I forgot to say about that. Ican listen to the same soundswhen it tries to start up unsucessfully. One second before turning of. I am trying to ask about that to Pentax Customers Care and Support Service, by eMail,but they didn´t answer yet.

Old Jun 18, 2006, 9:08 PM   #4

:sad:
I've the same problems here in Finland, with my Pentax Optio MX (3.2MP)
After turning my camera on (in PICT, P, Tv, Av or M -mode) it beebs and shows the starting screen (the one with "Optio" text). The screen shows for about 8 seconds before this wierd starting sound (I think it is the lens, that makes this sound).Right after that my camera stays on for about 0.01 seconds before it shuts down...

Te voice recording seems to work just fine
so it must be something wrong with the lens.

Is there more people who are having this problem, and
does somebody know if I canfix this problem by myself?
arzka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2006, 6:48 PM   #5

:sad: Hi,I leave in france and have exactly the same problem with mi optio MX4.

is someone have a the answer to solve it ?

can we upgrade the firmware ? maybe this will help ?

Thanks

Assaf, Paris
assib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2006, 12:13 PM   #6

We have all to send eMail`s to Pentax in our countries. I am sending emails to Pentax USA and Brazil. Here in Brazil they don`t know nothing about theOptioMX-4 because its is not an official imported model. And Pentax USA already sent some answers but always asking me to make contact by phone to Pentax in my country. Its a alittle bit difficult, isn`t it? I am thinking about sending a link to this forum to Pentax USA so they will see that its is a problems that occurs with a lot of people in many countries.
Old Jul 18, 2006, 9:15 PM   #7

Hi... I live in the US and my Optio MX4 has started this problem just today!! It won't turn on except for the Optio welcome screen and then it just keeps shutting back off. I hope someone knows what this problem is and can advise us. It seems to be a problem that is suddenly striking all of us with Pentax Optio cams suddenly. Might know my warranty has just run out too!
maggiemai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2006, 7:26 PM   #8

This same thing just began to happen with my one-month-old Optio T-10. It worked fine up till now. Now it starts, opens, shows the logo and shuts down. Any news of this problem would be appreciated!
Stephen001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2006, 10:00 PM   #9

I could not find anyway to get around sending my MX4 back to Pentax for repair. The good news was that since I'd had it repaired for another problem less than 12 months ago, my warranty was renewed for 12 months from the last repair. Therefore, it was still under warranty and all I had to pay for was the postage to get it there. I had it back in about 8 days... and it's working fine now. Plus now my warranty is good for another 12 months at no extra charge! :-) The customer service person that I talked to was very, very helpful and I was a happy customer!!
maggiemai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2006, 9:36 AM   #10

Thanks for that good news. I hope I have the same experience!:-)
Stephen001 is offline   Reply With Quote