Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Pentax

Old Jun 25, 2006, 8:31 AM   #1

The camera is newly one year old.When fresh batteries installed,a total loss of power i.e. no switch on.Ditto with 4 other batteries,so the problem would not appear to be the batteries.Any suggestions and/or advice
roderick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 25, 2006, 9:35 AM   #2
Administrator

What kind of "fresh batteries"? Some models don't work well with Alkalines (and definitely not batteries with even less power).

For models that take AA batteries, most users go with high capacity NiMH Rechargeable Batteries:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/nimh_batteries.html

Does it do anything when you attempt to turn it on (briefly light up anything, attempt to extend the lens before shutting off, etc.)?

I'd try a different memory card in it if you have one, in case it's shorting out anything (or see if it will powerup without one).

You may also want to check the battery contacts in the camera. Sometimes a bit of oxidation can prevent a good connection. A Qtip with a touch of alcohol is what I typically use to clean 'em (but, make sure they are dry as you don't want to leave any residue that can cause more oxidation).

I'd try all dials, switches and buttons, too (in case one is stuck, not making a good connection, or has a bit of oxidation under it).

Of course, make sure you you've got the batteries inserted correctly (polarity in the correction direction for each one).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2006, 11:15 AM   #3

Thanks JimC for fast response.Have tried all you suggest apart from new memory card.

The batteries are standard rechargeable - the same type as has been used for the last year,freshly charged and inserted right way up.The contact points are clean. All buttons and have been pressed and there is not a flicker of life or movement.It is completely dead. All that remains to try would be a new memory card which I don't yet have.

Thanks for your suggestions .If you can think of any other possibility let me know.
Old Jun 25, 2006, 11:31 AM   #4
Administrator

Did you try it without a memory card in it? It should at least power up, unless there is a component failure of some type.

Make sure you don't have a bad battery though. Try some fresh Alakalines if nothing else, just to see if it will power up with them (just don't expect to get many photos with 'em).

If one cell is bad, it may lower voltage enough that the camera decides it can't power up (and there is nothing that says you can't have multiple bad batteries, or a bad battery charger). ;-)

Old Jun 25, 2006, 11:57 AM   #5

Again,thanks JimC.Did try it without memory card,but no response.I suppose some batteries might be faulty or low,but have tried 6 + non rechargeable batteries.If you have other ideas that would avoid buying another memory card,they would be gladly received.
Old Jun 25, 2006, 12:14 PM   #6
Administrator

It should power up without a memory card in it.

If it's not a battery or contact problem (and just because they look OK doesn't mean you're getting a good connection), then it's likely a component failure. Make sure to play with the switches (i.e., use them a bit more), as well as the power on/off button, to make sure it's not oxidation under one causing your issues.

Old Jun 26, 2006, 4:00 AM   #7

Will keep trying.Many thanks.