Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Pentax

Old Aug 28, 2006, 4:43 AM   #1

I'm looking into purchasing the new W20 to use while surfing. Im thinking of making a small wetsuit pouch/camera bag to strap onto my upper arm for easy access and protect it a little from the surf. The camera would be out in the surf forup to 4 hours at a time. Am I being hopeful that the camera would survive the surf as sometimes, not often,the surf can be quite large (6 to 8ft). Any comments ideaswould be helpful, as there have been some magical moments while surfing I would loved to have captured on camera,eg sunsets, stormy skies and dolphins. Thanks Steve.
MVASteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 13, 2006, 5:09 AM   #2

I just got a W20. Have previously owned Optio 33 WR and 43 WR and love them for outdoors photos and macro shots. The W20 looks like it will be great for that. Image quality so far is very high, the image-stabilised video mode is fantastic, and it still has phenomenal macro ability, can use flash at ca. 1 cm. from subject, fill the frame with a medium-sized mozzie.

But, the manual for the W20 specificaly cautions against using it in situations where it is likely to be hit by moving water, such as waves, streams, etc., and against holding it in hour hand while swimming. My guess is that it would survive for a while as a surf camera but maybe not for long.

I think the Olympus 720 SW is supposed to be a bit more thoroughly water resistant, so you might want to look at that, but for what you want you might be better off with a real waterproof housing, I can see where that would be a pain, though.

Ross Alford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2006, 7:41 AM   #3

Thanks for the info Ross Alford. I'll now check out the olympus which I think they have just upgraded. I definately need something quite portable, not a camera housing etc. Hope you enjoy your new camera.
regards, mvasteve
MVASteve is offline   Reply With Quote