Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   People Photos (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/people-photos-12/)
-   -   First Portrait (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/people-photos-12/first-portrait-83025/)

Meiko Mar 8, 2006 7:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I don't have much experience at potraits, but my daughter stopped by for the weekend and I talked her into a few shots. I don't think they turned out too bad.

Any comments or advice would be appreciated though.

digcamfan Mar 8, 2006 9:09 AM

Hello Meiko down in the "Show Me" state :)

Your photo is wonderfully composed.:-)

The expression on your daughter seems to convey an "uncertainty of the moment".

The only suggest I might make would be to lighten it just a bit and perhaps boost the contrast.

Great first portrait, Meiko! :cool:

davidreeves Mar 8, 2006 9:47 AM

I am more a sports photographer than a people photographer. I want to get into people photography.

That said, I think this is a great shot. I like how it is laid out and her expression. My only comment would be that as a matter of personal preference, I wis the right side of her face had less shadow.

Keep up the good work!

Meiko Mar 8, 2006 12:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks Digicam , She definatley was uncertain about it. But after she saw the pics she was happy.:D

Thanks David, I kind of liked that effect. But maybe its a little overdone. Actually it wasmy first time trying to deal with lighting, and although I do a lot of reading in here, I really had no idea what I was doing. Definatley need some work.

Here is another one I liked.

davidreeves Mar 8, 2006 12:36 PM

I know exactly what you mean! Keep shooting

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"You have a beautiful daughter

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"The whole lighting thing is a mystery to me but one of these days I will get around to actually understanding it!

kenmck15 Mar 8, 2006 3:26 PM

i think this is fantastic first effort. i am also moving through the motions of learning portrature and man it aint easy. Lighting is a real ricky one and i think you have pulled it off very well. i wouldnt have known this is your first attempt if you didint say so.

very nice

ken

Meiko Mar 8, 2006 11:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks again David..

Thank you Ken.. If you knew what I was using for my lighting, youd probably laugh..It's a simple setup, but seems to work fairly well.

Well I tried lightening a little, but I'm not sure which I like better..:?

Actually after posting it and looking again, I think I like the original..Hmm

kenmck15 Mar 9, 2006 2:16 AM

what lighting are you using, i would lvoe to know i want to build up something on a rfeally cheap budget

Meiko Mar 9, 2006 6:55 PM

Well Ken I dont really have plans of doing a lot of portraits, but wanted to be able to from time to time. I really dont have much space, nothing to devote to a studio. So I got a cheap 2 stand and umbrella kit from B&H..about $99 I also purchased an external flash for my camera and a slave flash for the other umbrella. This gives me a better flash than what came with the camera for other things, and I was pleased with the results I got with the setup this time anyway. I know its not a real studio setup, but so far I'm pretty pleased..:G

kenmck15 Mar 9, 2006 10:45 PM

well well ur setup does give pleasing rfesults. i am very impressed. nice work i am woring on some studio lighting at the mo(very cheap ofcousrse LOL0 i will post some of my shots if my gf is eager again and can see how it turns out. im trying to keep budget under 100. lol, is itpossible. i will find out

and again Nice shots mate.