Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Sep 10, 2006, 4:00 PM   #11

JP80 (and Ken and all),

I'm referring to your question about if Ken had studied photography at University... I'm glad Ken answered the question the way he did.

JP80, I guess that 90% of what Ken said about learning camera techniques applies to me (though I don't consider myselfworthy to be listed as a great photographer).

This website (Steves forums I mean) has helped me a LOT to think more creatively and critically about photography. Although I've had a digital camera since 2001 and slowly been improving (I hope), it's in the last year or year and a half that I've been more experimental and more concerned about technique.

Sometimes it's quitehard for me to make enough time to practise photography as often I work a 60 hour week for the charity I'm involved with here in Romania... but when I DO get some time (especially in my holidays) to try a few different things I find the rewards.

A part of my work is photographing things to do with the charity organisation (e.g. camps, building projects, international visitors, etc) and so I try to learn and apply techniques or things that I've seen other people do that way too. Since getting my digital SLR in November last year I've had to learn new things and in some ways a DSLR is harder to learn, but there is more possible and more rewards.

Ken's a good example of putting into practise what he sees and learns and then sharing it with the rest of us on this forum. I think that is what makes this forum special and there are so many helpful guys and girls (ahem... men and women) out in this forum, JP80 I'm sure if you are prepared to interact as Ken said, you can learn lots too.

I would give some advice that I thinkit is important to try to use your time effectively to learn (or master) one particular type of photography at a time. What I mean is don't think that in a few months you will be an A grade sports photographer, landscape photographer, studio portrait photographer, wildlife (animals) photographer and so on.

I think due to people's lifestyle, personal preferences or what they life (and their individual characters) often a lot of their photography reflects a part of their life. I don't mean that any one person can only be good at one field of photography. Not at all. I am sure there are many pro studio (portrait) photographers who might mainly shoot fashion shots, but can still crank out a wonderful landscape.

But all in time. And you'll probably find it most efficient to specialize learning anyway in one or a few areas of photography, especially at first. I have found for myself that's the best way to learn. For some months using my "photography" time to focus on certain areas, and e.g. to browse the certain areas of this forum (and other resources on the internet or in print) and try to improve that. Then when you're happy or ready, to try some other areas.

Anyway, that is just my advice (which might be useless...) unless you've got heaps of spare time and can devote and attempt full time photography learning and practise! (but I guess for 99% of us on the forum, that's NOT the case!)

OK, that's my 2 cents worth (or maybe I wrote enough to qualify for 3 cents).

Sorry to hijack your thread Ken... great 4th photo again by the way... the more I look at it the more I think you've done a great job. Compliments to gf.

PJ
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2006, 9:12 PM   #12

They are very nice shots. By the way, I know a few people who have studied photography, yet some self taught photographers would blow them out of the water easily.Forsome people it comes naturally .I know a young girl who at sixteen has such talent and flair with photography and a real artistic talent with her composition, shes never studied it yet it just comes natural to her. I guess some people have to work harder in that area.
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2006, 12:35 AM   #13

pj1974 wrote:
Quote:
G'day Ken!

Well it's evening here in Romania... but I'll say "Good morning" to you mate! (nearing midnight now!)

So that's a good sign I think that your (joint) decision to get that sophisticated look across to us (the viewers) worked, coz that's what I guessed. And if it got across to slow ol' me, then I think you're pretty safe most sane people would have got it too! :blah:

I could imagine that the desaturated look you went with more suitable to b&w. Don't worry about you being lazy in shot 3 and not even cleaning up the background... but hey, if you do it again.. careful... I might ask the Mods to put posting restrictions on you...

Sounds like a good idea for you to do the remote shooting using the link between camera and monitor. I've never tried that (never really had that flexibility to lug around my computer and set it up like that for most of my shots!) But let me know how much easier it does make life. I'm sure if yo have a USB 2.0 port (which I don't on my computer) that would help things go quicker too.

Yeah I'mlooking forward to your 50mm f1.8 shots in time... but remember you get a very thin dof atf1.8 and anyway it's sharper stopped down a bit anyway (around f2.8 - f4 would be good I guess for many of your type of portrait shots).

All the best

Paul

thanks again for your comments mate.

ken

kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2006, 12:35 AM   #14

aladyforty wrote:
Quote:
They are very nice shots. By the way, I know a few people who have studied photography, yet some self taught photographers would blow them out of the water easily.Forsome people it comes naturally .I know a young girl who at sixteen has such talent and flair with photography and a real artistic talent with her composition, shes never studied it yet it just comes natural to her. I guess some people have to work harder in that area.

thanks

ken

kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote