Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Sep 10, 2006, 6:16 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
kenmck15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,568
Default

Here are a few of the last shots i took with my fz. Just clearing out my hdd> this was a set we did when we were experimenting with different light. Looks like i will have to do this all over again with the new cam.

thanks

ken

Last edited by kenmck15; Aug 21, 2010 at 1:53 AM.
kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 10, 2006, 9:35 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
pj1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Posts: 2,914
Default

Greetings Ken!

Wow, really nice shots. I think you've really captured the "sophisticated" look well with the clothes, poses and lighting (at least that's what it comes across to me in the first 3 photos). Maybe I'ld have liked to see a bit more of a smile, but maybe that doesn't fit in the intended purpose.

They are all expertly exposed and clear photographs, with appropriate use of background too. And I don't feel they are "noticably processed". Well done!

The last photo I really like, think you've done a great job with that one, and I expect it was tricky too being closer up. Tell your gf good idea about having a title shot. It's a fantastic capture and I'd be interesting to see how words (font, colour, title) would go next to her "half face". She's got a lovely smile in that photo (imho).

Thanks for sharing.... hope to see some fantastic shots soon from your Canon 350D.

Paul

PS... I just wanted to add that the background in the third photo is abit blotchy and just slightly distracting.. but not a show-stopper.

pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2006, 10:09 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
jp80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 268
Default

I have a question. Did you study photography? I mean at the university or at school.... or did you become so skilled in the studio photography just by reading books?

jp80
jp80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2006, 10:57 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 242
Default

"KMac is back!" That's what I'm talking about - just keep shooting. I took 8,000 photos with my FZ20 is a little over 5 months and I've taken 35,000 photos with my XT in 15 months. At least you have a beautiful model on call. I spend more time trying to arrange shoots than I do actually shooting anyone. :?
24Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2006, 12:56 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
ZAKD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 962
Default

Well finally... a post from your side even it is a old photos it's a good thing....you have stopped watching and started posting...

For me #3 is best ..... litlle less skin treatments would be better and better background cloning should be done but it is very good photo and it would be good to do litlle improvement to be perfect (it is just a suggestion do not take it wrong).... so QUOTE> Looks like i will have to do this all over again No all but just a litlle touch....:-):-)

QUOTE> Looks like i will have to do this all over again with the new cam.
and you should be happy because of that:G:?....... and I'm just very interested to see your new post but really new photos with new cam...... did you shot any photo till now..... do not believe you did not ..... do not be shy:blah:


Sorry for litlle jokes.... :evil:

but really you shouldd do as much shots as it possible... every time you make a shoot you could add something new and practgise practise...... it is not neccessary to have every photo good or the best (when you do that you are pro then:-))....

Start thinking about external flash.... it is a good thing... I have just bought it and it is surpricing what improvements could be done for photos...... speccially there will be no Shadows anymore... so no more background cloning and hard PSD work....

Come on we are waitinig....

Rgds Zak
ZAKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2006, 2:34 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
kenmck15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,568
Default

pj1974 wrote:
Quote:
Greetings Ken!

Wow, really nice shots. I think you've really captured the "sophisticated" look well with the clothes, poses and lighting (at least that's what it comes across to me in the first 3 photos). Maybe I'ld have liked to see a bit more of a smile, but maybe that doesn't fit in the intended purpose.

They are all expertly exposed and clear photographs, with appropriate use of background too. And I don't feel they are "noticably processed". Well done!

The last photo I really like, think you've done a great job with that one, and I expect it was tricky too being closer up. Tell your gf good idea about having a title shot. It's a fantastic capture and I'd be interesting to see how words (font, colour, title) would go next to her "half face". She's got a lovely smile in that photo (imho).

Thanks for sharing.... hope to see some fantastic shots soon from your Canon 350D.

Paul

PS... I just wanted to add that the background in the third photo is abit blotchy and just slightly distracting.. but not a show-stopper.


Good mornring Paul, well its mornring here in NZ

Thanks again for your comments mate. Yea the outfit was a joint decision to try and get that sophisticated look. I trialled b&w and eneded up slightly desaturating the image whch we both felt made the image more suitable for the look we were after.

Yes, i was very lazy in shot 3 and didnt even attempt to clean the bground.

Thanks again mate and i cant wait to set up another session and test out the ol 350d and see how we go. Im sure that remote shooting will make my life much easier as i will be able to see my shots straight out of the cmaera as i take them on my monitor.


And thansk again for your kind words mate


Many thanks
ken



kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2006, 2:42 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
kenmck15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,568
Default

jp80 wrote:
Quote:
I have a question. Did you study photography? I mean at the university or at school.... or did you become so skilled in the studio photography just by reading books?

jp80



Hi JP80,

in short No i havenet studied photography.

I started to take more notice for photography around about 12 months ago.

I have learnt 80% of what i know through this forum by asking questions. I found the most effective learning technique was finding potos online, printing them, and trying to replicate them as best i can. By doing this i started to understand all these difernet settings etc on cms and what they do.

about 10% of it i learnt through looking through my gfs magazines, just getting ideas. Stopping her hand as she turns the page everytime i see somethjing which is a decent photo. Again just trying to visualise where the photographer is, and imagining what the intended effect is.

And the last 10 would be this book, and i haveno idea what its called, but some intro to photography piece of junk. it was ok, but i thikn it really helped my line up the basics.



SO in other words i just concerntrated on learning the cmera, and what each seting does and its effect on the final image. So tons of practise. And in referecne to composisiotn just looking in magazines, websites and ofcourse this forums especially at other great photographers (frank, pj1974, 24peter, zak ....) and taking it from there.


I think its really important to interact with other ppl doing similar things (guys i mentioned) and just talking about each others work. I found this really helps to develop as an individual and as a photographer.


I also take alot of time to learn photoshop, because i think today, its a very big component of digital photography. Now i dont learn it so i can mesh up every photo i take, but its nice being able to create a desired effet when you want to

thanks for the comments

Ken




kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2006, 2:43 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
kenmck15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,568
Default

24Peter wrote:
Quote:
"KMac is back!" That's what I'm talking about - just keep shooting. I took 8,000 photos with my FZ20 is a little over 5 months and I've taken 35,000 photos with my XT in 15 months. At least you have a beautiful model on call. I spend more time trying to arrange shoots than I do actually shooting anyone. :?

hey peter,

thnks for the comments mate. Yea i cant wait to give the old 350 a good thrash. Im looking seriously at getting to f1.8 50mm, so it should be good

thanks

ken


kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2006, 2:48 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
kenmck15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,568
Default

ZAKD wrote:
Quote:
Well finally... a post from your side even it is a old photos it's a good thing....you have stopped watching and started posting...

For me #3 is best ..... litlle less skin treatments would be better and better background cloning should be done but it is very good photo and it would be good to do litlle improvement to be perfect (it is just a suggestion do not take it wrong).... so QUOTE> Looks like i will have to do this all over again No all but just a litlle touch....:-):-)

QUOTE> Looks like i will have to do this all over again with the new cam.
and you should be happy because of that:G:?....... and I'm just very interested to see your new post but really new photos with new cam...... did you shot any photo till now..... do not believe you did not ..... do not be shy:blah:


Sorry for litlle jokes.... :evil:

but really you shouldd do as much shots as it possible... every time you make a shoot you could add something new and practgise practise...... it is not neccessary to have every photo good or the best (when you do that you are pro then:-))....

Start thinking about external flash.... it is a good thing... I have just bought it and it is surpricing what improvements could be done for photos...... speccially there will be no Shadows anymore... so no more background cloning and hard PSD work....

Come on we are waitinig....

Rgds Zak

thanks for the feedback zak, i always lok fd to your input

i have been very busy lately, with new job and possily buying a house i havent realy had much time to set up soemthing and put some thought into a nice shoot. But now things are settleing and ofcourse i have the new cam im anxious to get out there and give it a go. I see what you guys get from your dslr's and i want to join you with the very hq shots.

In reference to external flsh, i have been looking at some lately. Not sure which to go for and as i mentioned this whole dslr is very new to me. I was looking at the 430ex, im not sure what they retail for here in NZ but i would be very interested to kow. And yes im sure they would make a great improvement to my phtoos, Ofcourse thats once i learn how to use it.

thanks again for the comments zak and yes i will try to get back on and keep these shots rolling in. You do the same too. Your last set was very impressive so you keep em coming too

thanks
ken


kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2006, 3:44 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
pj1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Posts: 2,914
Default

G'day Ken!

Well it's evening here in Romania... but I'll say "Good morning" to you mate! (nearing midnight now!)

So that's a good sign I think that your (joint) decision to get that sophisticated look across to us (the viewers) worked, coz that's what I guessed. And if it got across to slow ol' me, then I think you're pretty safe most sane people would have got it too! :blah:

I could imagine that the desaturated look you went with more suitable to b&w. Don't worry about you being lazy in shot 3 and not even cleaning up the background... but hey, if you do it again.. careful... I might ask the Mods to put posting restrictions on you...

Sounds like a good idea for you to do the remote shooting using the link between camera and monitor. I've never tried that (never really had that flexibility to lug around my computer and set it up like that for most of my shots!) But let me know how much easier it does make life. I'm sure if yo have a USB 2.0 port (which I don't on my computer) that would help things go quicker too.

Yeah I'mlooking forward to your 50mm f1.8 shots in time... but remember you get a very thin dof atf1.8 and anyway it's sharper stopped down a bit anyway (around f2.8 - f4 would be good I guess for many of your type of portrait shots).

All the best

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 4:37 AM.