Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Sep 17, 2006, 5:36 PM   #11

Great choice of camera & fantastic pictures, only wish I could take pictures like you using mine:?
Tonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2006, 5:43 PM   #12

Tonz wrote:
Quote:
Great choice of camera & fantastic pictures, only wish I could take pictures like you using mine:?

hahah

hey tonz, i think this is your first post isnt it.

thanks

yea i decided to upgrade to the 350 and sold the pana.

Im sure you have some nice shots from Hawaii. You should post some...

thanks again
ken
kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2006, 12:30 AM   #13

New350d is performing well you must be pleased!

Like #2great face/expression -with the hair very early90s/retro supermodel...

Also #4 sheis goldenlike a movie star .. reminds me of UK actressKeira Knightley somehow...

All very natural, love to see a proper session!
marshmellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2006, 12:56 AM   #14

marshmellow wrote:
Quote:

New350d is performing well you must be pleased!

Like #2great face/expression -with the hair very early90s/retro supermodel...

Also #4 sheis goldenlike a movie star .. reminds me of UK actressKeira Knightley somehow...

All very natural, love to see a proper session!

thanks

yes i am loving the 350. its amazing how much better it is than my old fz30.

Yea its her latest hair style and i think it has that real funky look about it.

hopefully try to do some planned shots this weekend, but if not i will atleast try to get in a few decent shots of other stuff

thanks for the comments

ken

Old Sep 18, 2006, 5:03 AM   #15

Ken, congrats for your new camera You were already a considerable talent. So, we'll able to see more of what in fact you're capable of! Your 1 st shot is also numberone for me, displaying the smooth look of a DSLR yet with great detail...Surely does justice toyour superb modelAnother thing to consider is that you did this with the kit lens which some people call truck's windscreed:-)I was alsotrying to choose between Rebel XT, Nikon D50, Pentax K100D considering that I'll not be able to invest on lenses at least for a long time. So also gave me a good measure for comparison with your shots. Thanks for sharing!
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2006, 5:37 AM   #16

Ken I tried the masking effect on a shot of a small girl but Im afraid it just did not look right, any tips would be welcome, I did exactly as you discribed.
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2006, 5:37 AM   #17

bahadir wrote:
Quote:
Ken, congrats for your new camera You were already a considerable talent. So, we'll able to see more of what in fact you're capable of! Your 1 st shot is also numberone for me, displaying the smooth look of a DSLR yet with great detail...Surely does justice toyour superb modelAnother thing to consider is that you did this with the kit lens which some people call truck's windscreed:-)I was alsotrying to choose between Rebel XT, Nikon D50, Pentax K100D considering that I'll not be able to invest on lenses at least for a long time. So also gave me a good measure for comparison with your shots. Thanks for sharing!

thanks mate for the kind words

so far i am very impressed with teh 350. I tried the d50 iand i found it very arkward to use. DIdnt seem to like it at all. Never tried the Pentax as it wasnt available at the place i was looking but i found the 350 very easy to use.

Yea i have heard the kit lens is not the hottest lens to run. Im lookin to purchase a f1.8 50m later this week. i was very impressed with some shots i have seen with it.

thansk mate

ken

Old Sep 18, 2006, 6:00 AM   #18

aladyforty wrote:
Quote:
Ken I tried the masking effect on a shot of a small girl but Im afraid it just did not look right, any tips would be welcome, I did exactly as you discribed.

hi mate

whipped together a real quick nasty flow of what i do. Now this is sorta extracts of what i saw someone else do then i have sorta mixed it up wth wat some other person does. it seems to work

Shot 1
Go into quick mask mode. mask up the key areas of skin to soften.

Shot 2
Once selected come out of quick mask mode and click "select inverse" so the actual skin is selected. Depending on the res (mine is 8mp so i use feather radius of 50) feather selection

Shot3&4
Go into the NOISE - MEDIAN option and play with this until you get the right look you are after. It makes it easier if you hit "CTRL+H" to hide those ugly selection lines so you can see the blend against the non selected skin.

Shot5&6
Select NOISE>ADD NOISE. again play with this until there is a nice slight texutre added to the softened skin to make it look more realistic. I find mono works best for me.

Shot7
Deselect and done.

Another way i sometimes do this is to duplicate the layer, perform the actions on shots 1-4. the use the Layer opacity at around 60% so you can still seem some of the original skin charactrstcs through the softened layer. Fine tune and then flatten

hope this helps mate

Ken
Attached Images

Old Sep 18, 2006, 9:34 AM   #19

Thanks, I did it way you described but I guess on a young child you don't need as much smoothing, I think the duplicate way might be the way to go.
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2006, 10:26 AM   #20

bahadir wrote:
Quote:
Rebel XT, Nikon D50, Pentax K100D

bahadir - I'm also considering each of these cameras, I would love to know which one you decide to go with.

Ken - Thanks for the GREAT description on how you did the editing. It doesn't seem soo hard now :-).

afayec is offline   Reply With Quote