Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Sep 25, 2006, 2:08 AM   #1

Hi All

this is my 2nd play with my 350d. It was very differnet this time. Just still not used to the metering of the cam but i managed to pull out afew decent shots i think.

many thanks

ken

Last edited by kenmck15; Aug 21, 2010 at 2:50 AM.
kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 25, 2006, 3:44 PM   #2

Hi,

Glad you started to show photos with new cam...... and having the same beautiful model.....

that is positive, the negative is photos......:G................

hahahaha... joking........

Lets start with the best one..... it is the last one.... that is realy wanderful composition and good colors, nice angle of Sun... totaly the winner... (to improve this kind of photo try making a reflection panel just to add a fill in her face or eyes... that is sometimes very important and results are great...)

First two are also nice...

Keep showing.... do not stop

RGDS Zak

ZAKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2006, 4:27 PM   #3

ZAKD wrote:
Quote:
Hi,

Glad you started to show photos with new cam...... and having the same beautiful model.....

that is positive, the negative is photos......:G................

hahahaha... joking........

Lets start with the best one..... it is the last one.... that is realy wanderful composition and good colors, nice angle of Sun... totaly the winner... (to improve this kind of photo try making a reflection panel just to add a fill in her face or eyes... that is sometimes very important and results are great...)

First two are also nice...

Keep showing.... do not stop

RGDS Zak

Hi zak

Thnks mate

Yes the sun was very harsh, the shots were taken at about 2 ish i think and as you can see it was a clearish day.

As this was an unplanned day i tried using fill flash to make the images less harsh. the fill made a big differnec but not enough in my opinion.

Ohh yea just a quick question. When i select a different af point, does this mean that the cam will meter from that af point, or still from the centre????

thanks

ken

Old Sep 25, 2006, 9:45 PM   #4

Ken - nice shots. Yes proper metering is tricky under those lighting conditions. I'm pretty sure the XT meters from the center point regardless of which focus pointyou are using.

I also think the last shot is the best. The first two are nice but the bright/busy backgrounds distract from your subject IMO. For me as a rule of thumb, when doing outdoor portraits I always try to keep my subject as the brightest thing in the scene and also try to blur the background as much as possible (mainly by using large apeture).

Fill flash can help outdoor portraitsbut that's a whole world unto itself. And if you are using the on-camera flash you'll never get over 1/200th SS b/c (unlike the Canon Speedlites) the on-camera flash lacks hi-speed sync mode. That means you'll either grossly over-expose (if you are in Av mode) or the camera will select a very small apeture to compensate for the slow shutter speed and you'll have a very large depth of field. This means everything (including your background) will be in focus, which again will take away from your subject.
24Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2006, 10:35 PM   #5

24Peter wrote:
Quote:
Ken - nice shots. Yes proper metering is tricky under those lighting conditions. I'm pretty sure the XT meters from the center point regardless of which focus pointyou are using.

I also think the last shot is the best. The first two are nice but the bright/busy backgrounds distract from your subject IMO. For me as a rule of thumb, when doing outdoor portraits I always try to keep my subject as the brightest thing in the scene and also try to blur the background as much as possible (mainly by using large apeture).

Fill flash can help outdoor portraitsbut that's a whole world unto itself. And if you are using the on-camera flash you'll never get over 1/200th SS b/c (unlike the Canon Speedlites) the on-camera flash lacks hi-speed sync mode. That means you'll either grossly over-expose (if you are in Av mode) or the camera will select a very small apeture to compensate for the slow shutter speed and you'll have a very large depth of field. This means everything (including your background) will be in focus, which again will take away from your subject.

thanks mate

yes indeed, i foudn it quite difficult to get the cam to meter properly. i wasnt sure about where it took the metering from

i assumed that if i changed the focus point, i thought the cam would assume this is teh main focus, therefore exposing from that point. I will revert to the instruction manual later tonight to try to clear this up. this is a major factor that i have to get right.

When i think about it i think the manual said something about the metering is only taken from the manaully selected af point in evaluative mode. But in centre weighted and avaerage its from teh centre point. I guess that sorta makes sense. I better find out for sure. With my old pana where ever i set the af point the metering was taken from that point regardles of the metering mode. Confussing at the mo. Its all learning i guess

Might make my life a little easier if i know what the cam is thinking.

Yea the fill flash ran into 1/200 cap issues so that went out the door with a whole lot of over exposure as you mentioned, and in reference to wide ap. the widest i have is [email protected]. I found there to be significant barrel distrotion at 18mm f3.6, so thats why i wound up the focal.

I still havnt bought my 50mm f1.8 but im sure that will solve that issue for me.

thanks again peter, alwyas value your fedback mate

many thanks
Ken
Old Sep 25, 2006, 11:19 PM   #6

Nice shots Ken. 1 and 4 are my favs.

Grant.
Grant2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2006, 11:45 PM   #7

Grant2 wrote:
Quote:
Nice shots Ken. 1 and 4 are my favs.

Grant.

thansk Grant

cheers

Ken
Old Sep 26, 2006, 7:51 AM   #8

I'm no expert to focusing and metering issues but I agree that EOS350D metters in center of 7 focus points never mind which focus point you are using.

But Try using locking focus point for focusing and to metter on another......or better say> find focus centar and press shutter button half and hold it while move camera to the desirable metering point and then press shutter buton all the way to take photo.

For the portrait I did not use till now but for the landscape it works....

Hope it helps

RGDS Zak
ZAKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2006, 10:27 AM   #9

Hi,

My fave is #4, but I really like the pose in 3.

I'm no expert, but I sure hope I can become as good as you in such a short time.

Great job!
afayec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2006, 3:34 PM   #10

ZAKD wrote:
Quote:
I'm no expert to focusing and metering issues but I agree that EOS350D metters in center of 7 focus points never mind which focus point you are using.

But Try using locking focus point for focusing and to metter on another......or better say> find focus centar and press shutter button half and hold it while move camera to the desirable metering point and then press shutter buton all the way to take photo.

For the portrait I did not use till now but for the landscape it works....

Hope it helps

RGDS Zak

hi Zak

thanks buddy

yea was thinking last nite, i will use the exp lock and expose in the centre and then compose the shot and focus.

i will see how that turns out

thanks mate

ken