Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Oct 4, 2006, 5:59 PM   #11

Remember it's about the client, not you. I know it's difficult to check one's ego, but ultimately you have to deliver what the client is looking for, and some, if not most will have a different vision than you. Was the client displeased with the results of this shoot (hence the thought to offer a reshoot)?? If so, a reshoot would be fair, but try to get an idea of what the client is looking for prior to the shoot. Agree on particular shots/poses, and then take a few that you think may work. That way your vision and taste doesn't completely get in the way and the client gets what he/she is looking for. Also, during the negotiation, if your not clicking with the client, do be afraid to say no to the job. You've said this is a second job...don't get caught up in doing things you won't be happy with. I am a part timer too, and probably say no to as many jobs as I accept.

By the way, your work is very good....great angles and you've got a knack for catching the right expression. I've never been a big fan of the supertight crops, and cropped heads and faces, but you manage to do it very well.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2006, 10:54 PM   #12

wow, these are really amazing. you did some really good black and white conversions. she's a cutie, and i think you really captured her candidly well, and made her look as natural as possible.

very good stuff. i think 3,4,and 5 are just perfect, and 1 and 2 are very good as well, just those three stick out to me the most. very nice work. the angles you did...the eyes. just beautiful.

great job
jedmag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2006, 8:53 AM   #13

rjseeney wrote:
Quote:
Remember it's about the client, not you. I know it's difficult to check one's ego, but ultimately you have to deliver what the client is looking for, and some, if not most will have a different vision than you. Was the client displeased with the results of this shoot (hence the thought to offer a reshoot)?? If so, a reshoot would be fair, but try to get an idea of what the client is looking for prior to the shoot. Agree on particular shots/poses, and then take a few that you think may work. That way your vision and taste doesn't completely get in the way and the client gets what he/she is looking for. Also, during the negotiation, if your not clicking with the client, do be afraid to say no to the job. You've said this is a second job...don't get caught up in doing things you won't be happy with. I am a part timer too, and probably say no to as many jobs as I accept.

By the way, your work is very good....great angles and you've got a knack for catching the right expression. I've never been a big fan of the supertight crops, and cropped heads and faces, but you manage to do it very well.
Thanks for your thoughtful reply. The client wasn't displeased, at least she didn't seem so, she just had a question or two that I think I was a little thin-skinned on. I think your suggestion on evaluating "chemistry" beforehand is valid. I am still trying to find my niche market, and when you're starting out its hard to turn down work that may lead to referrals

Thanks also for your kind words! I have a long way to go technically. This forum is priceless, I've learned so much.
urbanaries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2006, 8:57 AM   #14

jedmag wrote:
Quote:
wow, these are really amazing. you did some really good black and white conversions.
great job
Thanks I am getting to know my new best friend the Channel Mixer! Also Aly's BW conversion on atncentral is a good tool. I'm also learning to suggest clothing that converts well...the texture of the sweater and denim really add to the BWs I think.
urbanaries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2006, 6:56 PM   #15

Love the tight crops myself!! I can see why word of mouth is spreading...your work is great.

That's what's so great about photography...individual preferences. I agree, that it's about what the client wants, but I think we can also agree that we should still express our particular style.

DrChris is offline   Reply With Quote