Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Oct 8, 2006, 1:33 PM   #1
Administrator

Some snapshots from last night.

I've got lots of them I need to sort through. But, I thought I'd post a handful of them here first.

Mother's Finest at Tybee Island, GA - October 7, 2006

Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D, Vivitar Series I 70-210mm f/2.8-4 APO Autofocus Lens (a $79 lens). Most are at ISO 1600 and f/4 and haven't been processed or sharpened. Manual Exposure for all.

Contrast was tweaked on this one -- no sharpening though.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 11, 2006, 10:01 AM   #2

Looks mighty good to me for the money, Jim... and then some
Tazzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2006, 2:05 PM   #3
Administrator

For $79. 95 (what CametaAuctions is selling new in the box Vivitar 70-210mm f/2.8-4 AF Lenses for), I think it was probably money well spent, especially since I'd rarely use a lens this long. Contrast and color seem to be pretty good from this lens at wide open apertures, although I haven't tried it in daylight yet.

Old Oct 12, 2006, 6:29 AM   #4

incredible shots mate

youe made great use of such lo light

nice

ken
kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2006, 11:42 AM   #5
Administrator

Thanks. It was probably just luck that I got any keepers. :-)

You'll see shadows at the bottom of many of them from the crowd packed in front of the stage unless I was zoomed in more.

I did have Anti-Shove mode turned on to try and help with the elbowing from the crowd. ;-) It was fun though.

Old Oct 18, 2006, 2:25 PM   #6

Mother's Finest??? I can't believe they're still around! They used to be one of the best live bands I'd ever seen. Saw them a few times in Atlanta back in their heyday.

Oh, and those are nice shots, even if they were taken with an $80 lens.

Thanks for the flashback! I wish they'd make it out to Houston sometime.

Russ
rfortson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2006, 11:12 AM   #7

Hey Jim

So on the Value per dollar side, do you think you could justify spending 8X - 20X more than what you spent to get the Vivitar lense for the added sharpness you might get out of the sigma or KM/Sony 70-200 f/2.8 lenses?

Oh yeah, excluding being a Pro.
kberntsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2006, 11:33 AM   #8
Administrator

Well, a new Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 EX APO lens is probably going to run you $800+, depending on the exact model (with or without the DG or Macro designations). You may find a similar Tokina or Tamron for a little (but not much) less.

This Vivitar 70-210mm f/2.8-4 APO lens has f/2.8 on it's wide end, with f/3.5 available through much of the focal range, dropping down to f/4 on it's long end. So, you're within a stop of a much higher priced f/2.8 zoom lens throughout it's focal range.

Given that a new zoom with this one's focal range in a higher quality brighter lens would probably cost you at least 10 times as much money (unless you found a Minolta 80-200mm f/2.8 or 70-200mm f/2.8 at a good price on a camera dealer's shelf somewhere), I think it's money well spent for a lens that would work in a pinch for low light use.

Whether or not it's worth spending the extra money to get a higher quality zoom that can maintain f/2.8 throughout it's focal range is subjective. I'm not very concerned about having the best lens available for these types of shots, since they're only for personal use.

If I were shooting at longer focal lengths often in low light, I'd probably want a higher quality zoom with f/2.8 available if budget permitted, so that I'd reduce the number of images with motion blur. But, I really don't use a long lens that much.

When I need a higher quality lens, I've got primes available for the focal lengths I'd use more often (Minolta 28mm f/2, 50mm f/1.7, 100mm f/2 and 135mm f/2.8 )

I've also got some brighter zooms to cover the focal ranges I shoot at more often (Tamron SP 20-40mm f/2.7-3.5, Tamron SP 35-105mm f/2.8 ), as well as some walk around lenses that aren't as quite as bright (a Minolta 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 is on my camera most often).

Old Feb 22, 2007, 6:37 PM   #9
Administrator

kberntsen wrote:
Quote:
So on the Value per dollar side, do you think you could justify spending 8X - 20X...
[snip]
Oh yeah, excluding being a Pro.
This is an old thread... But, I forgot to mention something that came up after I started it.

One of the snapshots I took at the Mother's Finest Concert with this $79 lens made into Georgia Music Magazine (http://www.georgiamusicmag.com ).

I was just browsing through the magazine and it came to mind, since someone was asking about a forum for concert photos in another thread earlier.

In a pinch, it can work if you take enough shots to get a few keepers, and it's a whole lot less money compared to most f/2.8 zooms with it's focal range. lol.

Here's the one that was published (only the published photo was cropped slightly on the right side compared to this downsized straight from the camera jpeg I have online now). It was just a photo in an article disussing Mother's Finest.

Old Feb 23, 2007, 9:19 PM   #10

Those are some nice shots; good work Jim and congratulations on getting one published. How did that come about? Did you submit the photo or did they find you?
labrat99 is offline   Reply With Quote