Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Nov 8, 2006, 6:40 AM   #21

Hi Bob!

I am glad you ventured into this "landscape portrait" area.... actually this type of photography (capturing people in lovely outdoor settings) is perhaps my favourite type of photography.. "best of both worlds"...

Especially with a pretty model / person to be (part of) the subject...

Janelle has a lovely natural smile. the dog works well in this photo, as does the dof. :blah: Seriously, did you spend ages thinking and working for the photo (lighting, focusing, composition) or was it a "well done in 10 seconds" shot?

in any case I love the original. Usually bahadir does edits that are better than the originals... and I have an idea of what bahadir has done, though I don't know if in this case it's better. at least IMHO I think the edit looses a bit of the contrast or something and I do like the amount of tracks going to the right.

About outdoor shadows (esp on the face), yeah they're hard and at times distracting (eps in bright / direct sunlight) but then again, I more often prefer the "natural look" (which might include some shadows) than the electric lights and obviously professional posed (and clothed / made-up) studio photos.

I guess this is just personal taste. Not that this diminishes my respect for the "studio style" work of folk like Frank, Zak, 24 Peter, etc, etc. Just I like the outdoors and it seems people photographed outdoors more. So that's one reason why I particularly like this photo you've taken, and also the photos people outdoors others have shared, like urbanaries, aladyforty, etc, etc.

Well done again Bob. I will end here... Congratulations to all who read this far.. :?

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2006, 2:31 PM   #22

pj1974 wrote:
Quote:

I guess this is just personal taste. Not that this diminishes my respect for the "studio style" work of folk like Frank, Zak, 24 Peter, etc, etc. Just I like the outdoors and it seems people photographed outdoors more. So that's one reason why I particularly like this photo you've taken, and also the photos people outdoors others have shared, like urbanaries, aladyforty, etc, etc.

Well done again Bob. I will end here... Congratulations to all who read this far.. :?

Paul
since my ears were burning, thought i'd weigh in:G

My work is commissioned by private individuals, and yes they tend to like to do outdoors, even when the weather's bad! The real "pro's" (zak, peter, jedmag, frank, et al) however appear to be commissioned by models or others in the fashion/advertising industry, which dictates the more polished studio look. If you were buying marketing for your materials, you might like their style more! But maybe not for a wall-portrait of a loved one, although there is a definitive trend toward high-fashion portriature especially in wedding photography.

urbanaries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2006, 3:57 PM   #23

urbanaries wrote:
Quote:
pj1974 wrote:
Quote:

I guess this is just personal taste. Not that this diminishes my respect for the "studio style" work of folk like Frank, Zak, 24 Peter, etc, etc.
The real "pro's" (zak, peter, jedmag, frank, et al)...

Wow - I feel special to be included in such a group of talented individuals. At least someone thinks I'm a "pro":shock: (Thank you. :!

Bob - I don't think I commented on your photo: not necessarily my style but I find it very engaging. It would be a perfect family/friend portrait.
24Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2006, 3:58 PM   #24

Thank you Paul! This was really spontaneous,her parents wanted a photo of Janelle and her brother walking away from the camera down the tracks. Kind of a kids leaving the nest and heading out into the world kind of thing. She sat down for a second and I just snapped this photo and it really turned out to be my favorite from the day. I agree with you urbanaires on your thoughts!

Bob

bhammitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2006, 4:02 PM   #25

Oh - and for what it's worth, I got one of these at auction for $26 last week. It's pretty solid and may be want you want for fill on these types of shots.

http://cgi.ebay.com/5-IN-1-COLLAPSIB...QQcmdZViewItem

It's actually 40"X60" which is almost huge.
24Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2006, 4:11 PM   #26

Very nice job.

I'llthrow a point to bahadir'sside for the crop. The original is fantastic but I find my eyeswondering downthe track away from the model. Don't get me wrong, my eyes definitely come back.The model is outstanding. I dolike the space to the right.I guess I'm just afraid that a train is coming, or something.I'm thinking that a narrower DOF to blur the ends of the track would alleviate my concerns. Then again, who knows?

Just a couple of rambling thoughts.
DaiButsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2006, 4:18 PM   #27

Thank you Peter for the link, and DaiButsu for your comments, I appreciate both!

Bob
Old Nov 9, 2006, 7:52 AM   #28

urbanaries and 24Peter...

thanks for your replies to what I wrote (about you!) I think it's important we all encourage and help each other. I appreciate both your work immensely.., each in the different field of portrait style.

Bob,

thanks for the "story" behind this photo... it helps very much to look at the photo in new depth! Cool. I like the idea of the "kids walking down the track" (and out of the nest) kinda idea. Do you have photos you made of to share? (even if the "single" one of Janelle is your fav?)

thanks again.

Paul

pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2006, 8:13 AM   #29

This is the shot that the family wanted, I have things I like about it and things I don't.

Bob

Last edited by bhammitt; May 9, 2009 at 7:50 AM.
Old Nov 9, 2006, 9:17 AM   #30

pj1974 wrote:
Quote:
urbanaries and 24Peter...

thanks for your replies to what I wrote (about you!) I think it's important we all encourage and help each other. I appreciate both your work immensely.., each in the different field of portrait style.

I'm flattered, paul, thanks for your kind words!!! these forums are really great for non-competitive, constructive feedback from our peers.
urbanaries is offline   Reply With Quote