Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Jun 17, 2003, 2:24 AM   #1

Default portraits of children

Any advice on how to take photoes of kids?
Soundengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 17, 2003, 8:42 AM   #2

Not much wrong with except maybe the burned out pieces but why not go for bhgsit.jpg that one is SO much better.

Greetings,
Frank
Frank Doorhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2003, 9:06 AM   #3

I'd lean towards the picture of the child laughing. The subject fills the frame adequately, the picture is crisp, and well saturated. Oh yeah, and he looks like he's having a great time

All I see in A.jpg in terms of the childs mood is complete apathy lol.

I'd choose the laughing one as I said. Ice cream face one is good aswell.

Are you cropping these photo's btw, if so try and keep the eyes central to the image. Remember the rule of 3 when it comes to portaits :P

**EDIT** Just noticed you have the same camera as me. For help with the composition, when taking the photo press the Disp button, this draws out the grid in occordance to the rule of 3. Make sure the subjects eyes fill or even overspill the central box.
Photodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2003, 10:39 AM   #4

heheh yes I agree, the expression in a is a little flat...the burnt out bit is probably the most exiting part of the photograph apart from the colourful shirt...hehe

I also think bhgsit is a little flat....I feel like it is missing something...life or something like that.

What is the rule of 3?

And yes, I cropped laughing....but the rest are not cropped...I am hessitant to crop photographs before they go to the printers because they only have set measurments for printing out.

I also really like icecream face...but I do not think that that is a great-grandmother type photo....hehe....she likes kids to have in shirts and ties if possible, and definetely not messy and unclean!..hehe
Old Jun 17, 2003, 11:00 AM   #5

I am voting for child laughing. I like photos of people when they are not anticipating the shot. The one with the boy laughing is my favorite.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2003, 11:27 AM   #6

The rule of 3 refers to a general framing guide to taking pictures.

Take your image, and split it into 3 parts both vertically and horizontally, like in the image I have uploaded for you

http://www.pbase.com/image/17947657

You'll have to excuse the obviously uneven spacing hehe. Basically you get the idea. Rule of 3 is a guide to help you frame your subject.

Mine was a bit off in this example, but you can see how it helps to keeps the eyes in the central area of the image.

It helps you compose your image and bring emphasis to the subjects important facial features, which in this case is the eyes.

Hope this helps, and remember the Disp button on ur cam actually draws out these lines for you so u can frame it b4 u take it.
Photodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2003, 1:49 AM   #7

Thankyou all for the advice....I will now with the new information of rule of 3 adventure forward in the pursuit of the perfect portrait...hehe

(and print out smaller versions of this for the family photoalbum..
Old Jun 18, 2003, 5:59 PM   #8

Laughing.jpg....hands down for his great-grandma.

The laughter of a great-grandchild is powerful good medicine
for a great-grandma .

Two cents
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote