Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Nov 30, 2006, 12:53 PM   #11

pj1974 wrote:
Quote:
Well Ken, for "fooling around shots" these are great.

Like Mark said, I also like shots 2 and 4 the best of this bunch. They are great compositions, and your attractive girlfriend is very well suited to the flavour of these photos. I like her subtle smile for these types. Well done! And you did the "Ken skin smoothing technique" very well! :-) (as you kindly documented in other posts!)

Photo 2's sky is a little bright / distracting (did you think you'd "tone the sky down" a bit? But it's not overly a killer. And in photo 4 the little bit of brighter sky is a tad too much contrast compared to the rest of the background (there seems an off white / light grey canopy or roof.. then at the left some brighter sky).

Photo no. 3 is also something I like, it's got an interesting feel to it with the shells (instead of sand) on the beach... though I seem to remember from experience years ago in Australia shells are NOT particularly comfortable to lie on (at least that's my opinion!) About the actual shot 3, I think you got the angles well in it well, I dunno if possible to get some foreground and background blur (with the appropriate lens or post processing tools) to enhance it.

Photo 1 does have an awkward feel to it IMHO, but you've still done well with the actual shot.

Thanks for sharing. I always learn from and appreciate your work!!

Paul
Hi Paul

Nice to hear from you again mate

Thanks for your comments mate.

Umm in shot 2, the sky was very ugly on that day. I tried to ver expose it out to try and get a sort of silo halo effect. now i think about it, i could have used 1/200 shutter priorityand a -1ev fill flash and i probably would have achieved a more accurately exposed sky but on that dayi think it would have hurt the shot

Ye it was actually my gfs idea to lie in the shells and we both thought sand looks a bit to ordinary. I lke the way the shells textures and shapes come out.

I dont think i can achieve any dof blurring as the subject and backing are so closely matched without deteriorating the subject. DUring pp i just used a slight soften on the shells and the opposite on my gf to create a slight hint of difference. I found the exposure tough on this shot as it was very bright. I used fill flash on this one but with a max sync of 1/200 i had to get creative with pp to balance the shot out. I think it came out ok

Yea i also like the last shot best. Taken at her house by here front door i thought the light looked cool.

thanks for the comments paul

ken
kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2006, 12:55 PM   #12

Glyn2 wrote:
Quote:
Hi Ken. I'm a newcomer to this forum. Pleased to meet you and your work ... I willl do a search and find out more about these skin-smoothing techniquesof yours that someone has mentioned.

Pic 1 ... High fashion ... yes indeed. Around the late 80'sI think it was a small crop of magazine photographers were moving away from nice or 'trad-unatainable' ... moved into the 'rebel' phase which rapidly turned into as best as I can express it the 'yncomfortable' phase, where the models were looking slightly disturbed and disturbing. I was looking at a list of 'models most likely to make it for 1997' in the UK fashion/gossip/posers magazine 'Tattler', and each one looked like they were suffering from tubercolosis, anorexia or borderline psychosis ... approaching that darker side of gothic which was being explored by a rather well-known photofrapher in the mid '90's whose name escapes me.

Look at the woman who was model chosen for Burberry ad compaigns mid 2006 ... very strong and healthy looking person BUT with an almost shock-like quality which unbalances the reader.

Something which typifies these shots is a slight streching of the pose to points beyong natural balance. Somethig which is typifying choice of models is to find bone structures and features whichare alsoslightlybeyond.

Picture Number 4 .... use of window/door frame on the right of the picture .... I very much liked that. in terms of setting , it is another example of 'outside the box/frame'

best wishes

Glyn
Hi Glyn

welcome to the forums

Thanks for your comments. Im really ot of my depth trying these new poses etc.

I appreciate your input

thanks

ken
Old Nov 30, 2006, 12:55 PM   #13

nacho32 wrote:
Quote:
4 my favorite stunning
thanks

ken
Old Dec 1, 2006, 12:02 AM   #14

KMac! - #2 is cool. #4 is great. :-)
24Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2006, 1:57 AM   #15

Hi Ken. I Like 2# & 3#. 2# I like the way she is looking out of the fram and 3# I like the comp. For just fooling around these are excellent.

Neil.......

Neil Wharton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2006, 3:23 AM   #16

24Peter wrote:
Quote:
KMac! - #2 is cool. #4 is great. :-)
thanks pete

cheers

ken
Old Dec 1, 2006, 3:25 AM   #17

Neil Wharton wrote:
Quote:
Hi Ken. I Like 2# & 3#. 2# I like the way she is looking out of the fram and 3# I like the comp. For just fooling around these are excellent.

Neil.......

Hi Neil

Thanks for commenting mate.

ken

Old Dec 1, 2006, 7:38 AM   #18

2 and 4 are my favourites, what was thefocal length for pic4?
Redsquare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2006, 11:36 AM   #19
Super Moderator

Redsquare, here is the Exif of pic number 4

Exposure Time = 1/100"
F Number = F11
Exposure Program = Aperture priority
ISO Speed Ratings = 800
Exif Version = Version 2.21
Date Time Original = 2006-11-08 15:01:45
Date Time Digitized = 2006-11-08 15:01:45
Components Configuration = YCbcr
Shutter Speed Value = 6.64 TV
Aperture Value = 6.92 AV
Exposure Bias Value = ±0EV
Metering Mode = Pattern
Flash = Flash fired, compulsory flash mode
Focal Length = 52mm

There is a great application called Opanda iExif which allows you to see the info on any pic that still has the Exif included.

Hope this helps.

Mark
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2006, 2:14 PM   #20

Redsquare wrote:
Quote:
2 and 4 are my favourites, what was thefocal length for pic4?
thanks mate

as mark says the focal was 52mm # f11.

cheers
Ken