Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Nov 30, 2006, 3:30 AM   #1

Hi All

I havent posted in a while, Been very busy at work.

Just thought i would post some fool arnd shots. Some are from an older series and just playing with ps.

thanks

ken
Attached Images

kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 30, 2006, 3:31 AM   #2

Attached Images

Old Nov 30, 2006, 3:33 AM   #3

Attached Images

Old Nov 30, 2006, 3:33 AM   #4

Attached Images

Old Nov 30, 2006, 3:34 AM   #5
Super Moderator

Hi Ken,

Always like looking at your work. I don't think that number 1 is the strongest image from you, however number 2 is great. I like the reflection in the glasses and the hint of sea in the background. The tight crop also works really....

Mark

edit - Just realised you were still posting..... oops sorry!!!! Number 4 is another strong shot with good PP and again a background that tells enough of the environment without being distracting.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2006, 3:41 AM   #6

Mark1616 wrote:
Quote:
Hi Ken,

Always like looking at your work. I don't think that number 1 is the strongest image from you, however number 2 is great. I like the reflection in the glasses and the hint of sea in the background. The tight crop also works really....

Mark

edit - Just realised you were still posting..... oops sorry!!!! Number 4 is another strong shot with good PP and again a background that tells enough of the environment without being distracting.
hi Mark

Thanks mate.

I was interested to hear what ppl thought about the head positioning in shot 1. It feels weird to me but does it sorta have that weird high fashion feel to it. Just talking about the pose here. We were trying some weird stuff as i notice some high fashion stuff seems to have very odd and uncomfortable posing

thanks for the comments mate

always appreciated

ken

Old Nov 30, 2006, 3:51 AM   #7
Super Moderator

Ken, I know nothing about high fashion.... ask anyone I know so I'm probably not the best to comment on the first shot in that regard but to me it just looks alittle uncomfortable.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2006, 8:46 AM   #8

Well Ken, for "fooling around shots" these are great.

Like Mark said, I also like shots 2 and 4 the best of this bunch. They are great compositions, and your attractive girlfriend is very well suited to the flavour of these photos. I like her subtle smile for these types. Well done! And you did the "Ken skin smoothing technique" very well! :-) (as you kindly documented in other posts!)

Photo 2's sky is a little bright / distracting (did you think you'd "tone the sky down" a bit? But it's not overly a killer. And in photo 4 the little bit of brighter sky is a tad too much contrast compared to the rest of the background (there seems an off white / light grey canopy or roof.. then at the left some brighter sky).

Photo no. 3 is also something I like, it's got an interesting feel to it with the shells (instead of sand) on the beach... though I seem to remember from experience years ago in Australia shells are NOT particularly comfortable to lie on (at least that's my opinion!) About the actual shot 3, I think you got the angles well in it well, I dunno if possible to get some foreground and background blur (with the appropriate lens or post processing tools) to enhance it.

Photo 1 does have an awkward feel to it IMHO, but you've still done well with the actual shot.

Thanks for sharing. I always learn from and appreciate your work!!

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2006, 9:58 AM   #9

Hi Ken. I'm a newcomer to this forum. Pleased to meet you and your work ... I willl do a search and find out more about these skin-smoothing techniquesof yours that someone has mentioned.

Pic 1 ... High fashion ... yes indeed. Around the late 80'sI think it was a small crop of magazine photographers were moving away from nice or 'trad-unatainable' ... moved into the 'rebel' phase which rapidly turned into as best as I can express it the 'yncomfortable' phase, where the models were looking slightly disturbed and disturbing. I was looking at a list of 'models most likely to make it for 1997' in the UK fashion/gossip/posers magazine 'Tattler', and each one looked like they were suffering from tubercolosis, anorexia or borderline psychosis ... approaching that darker side of gothic which was being explored by a rather well-known photofrapher in the mid '90's whose name escapes me.

Look at the woman who was model chosen for Burberry ad compaigns mid 2006 ... very strong and healthy looking person BUT with an almost shock-like quality which unbalances the reader.

Something which typifies these shots is a slight streching of the pose to points beyong natural balance. Somethig which is typifying choice of models is to find bone structures and features whichare alsoslightlybeyond.

Picture Number 4 .... use of window/door frame on the right of the picture .... I very much liked that. in terms of setting , it is another example of 'outside the box/frame'

best wishes

Glyn
Glyn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2006, 11:58 AM   #10

4 my favorite stunning
nacho32 is offline   Reply With Quote