Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Dec 21, 2006, 11:13 AM   #1

Hey guys

This is the first picture of this kind and as you can tell I am new to the game. I used a Kodak Z740 and then messed around with Greyscale on photoshop.Any tips/tricks would be much appreciated! thanks..

Indiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 21, 2006, 2:44 PM   #2

Hey Indiana...
Thats a good "first" of its kind, as you put it...I see just a bit of back focus though...
Maybe you were swaying back and forth a little when you shot the picture...I see good focus right around the hair on the side of her face...The shot is still ok because the face isn't out of focus enough to ruin it...Here's a little b/w conversion trick...You might know it, but I will tell you anyway, just in case...Instead of just clicking remove color, go to the saturation slider in photoshop and remove the color by decreasing the saturation...
I usually take off about 90 - 95%...This eliminates that drastic b/w change...Its still b/w but not a hard looking b/w...I think I said it like I do it...hahaha...Try it and see if you like doing it that way....Anyway....Good first attempt...Pretty lady to...
:?
John at the Beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2006, 6:36 AM   #3

this is a nice take

i really like teh b&w conversion on this shot. suits it very well. Lighting is nice also.

The comp is safe but i thikn it works nicely.

The shot has quite a grity feel to it. I think its just the mix of textures in the shot enhanced by the b&W conversion.

I would quite like to see an edit with sofened skin just to see its impact on the overal shot.

its a nice shot

ken
kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2006, 10:09 AM   #4

Hey John, thanks for the comment and advice - much appreciated. i have taken your little saturation tip into account and I am impressed with the difference in results, thanks again!
Old Dec 27, 2006, 10:10 AM   #5

Hey Ken, I'm still getting to grips with the old photoshop so when I master it I will try to soften the skin etc and show you to see what you think, thanks for comments, much appreciated!