Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Jun 29, 2003, 6:08 PM   #1

Default My Dad

Well, I'm posting this mainly because it's my dad.
This was taken at the Toronto Downtown Jazz festival on Friday.
I know, I know, it's not very clear and I tried to sharpen it but didn't have a lot of success. I'm having some focus issues with my G3 when taking anything but portrait shots- I was about 50 feet away.
jazcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 29, 2003, 9:14 PM   #2

Here's another from the same bunch.
Any tips on getting clearer shots from such a distance?

Old Jun 29, 2003, 11:42 PM   #3

What f-stop, shutter speed and zoom range were you at? I assume max zoom (which would be 140mm.)

You should be shooting at around 1/150 or faster to have a chance at a sharp picture. I assume you weren't using a tripod or monopod?

Good to see your dad is out there having fun!

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2003, 1:37 AM   #4

Jazcan,

It looks like you were shooting under artifical light. Like Eric asked, f-stop and speed of shutter?
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2003, 10:53 AM   #5

Thanks Eric and Selvin for taking the time to comment.

O.K., that was definitely my problem.
It was a concert set up inside a tent. There was natural light coming in but, of course, the stage was lit artificially.
The first shot Tv (shutter speed) 1/40, Av (aperture value) 3.0
Optical zoom (max)
2nd shot : Tv - 1/30, Av - 3.0, optical zoom maximum

No, I was not using a tripod or monopod - I tried to steady myself on a tabletop with my elbows. This is one of the main problems I'm having with this camera- I know that the LCD is great for showing me the composition of the shot but I really miss having a good OVF which by using it, allows me to keep the camera steadier. I'm shakier having to hold the camera out.

I did try several settings for my pics. Most I took in Program AE mode. I also tried some with and without flash (but the flash being so far away actually made the stage appear darker)
Any suggestions on what mode to use in the future. I really am a newbie when it comes to this.

As I already have the Canon 58mm lens adapter attached to the camera with a UV Filter, any suggestions on any add-on lenses I could get (telephoto)?

Thanks again
Old Jun 30, 2003, 1:22 PM   #6

All things considered they are actually good!!

I'm afraid there is no magic solution to this problem. If you aint got enough light then you need slower speeds and wide apertures or in your case a powerful flash. You could try increasing the ISO but that usually leads to grainier pics.
steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2003, 1:58 PM   #7

I think you're right Steve.
I should've just moved closer to the stage but we had reserved seating at the back.
The shots I posted were taken without a flash
I took one shot with the internal flash (stage looked very dark)
and this one with the external flash (420EX) which doesn't look much different than the shots without flash.
Oh well, live and learn.

Old Jun 30, 2003, 2:05 PM   #8

To be honest, I would be quite happy with them. So there's a little motion blur, doesn't spoil the picture, rather adds to it.

Try being artistic by going maximum ISO and turning it to B+W. The grain may add to it giving it that old look - try sepia too.

Use a tripod and a very slow shutter speed i.e. experiment, play around and see what happens - it's all good fun and you'll learn a lot.
steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2003, 2:23 PM   #9

Thanks again, Steve
I really haven't experimented that much yet. I've never gone past ISO 100 (unfortunately my "hot pixels" are something else I have to contend with at higher ISOs).
I will definitely be purchasing a monopod soon. I do own a tripod but it's leaking some sticky fluid from the head so it'll have to be repaired before it's useable.
I also, have yet to shoot in RAW format which I know many people swear by.
Geez, I'll just have to get my dad to pick a bright outdoor venue for his next concert :lol:
Old Jul 1, 2003, 12:59 AM   #10

Jazcan,

The more I looked at your pictures the more I realized that the only criticism I could come up with was that your dad's face and eyes are not totally visible.

Everything else - was either beyond your control, (you weren't seated where you could see his face) OR the slight blur and lack of sharpness due to perhaps relatively low artificial lighting which you had trouble compensating for.

All in all not bad.

Klaus already gave me my lecture on what to do on my next opportunity to take night shots.

Aloha
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote