Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Jan 20, 2007, 8:44 PM   #1

G'day all,

took my camera to a friends house yesterday and took a heap of semi modelling shots. More along the lines of a training run then a proper shoot. I have never done any kind of portrait or modelling photography and I don't have all the gear either.

Here are two shots that I have processed and play with in PS. I took over a 100 shots in the short time I was there. And I have heaps more. From inside and outdoors, but the surrounding areas weren't the most ideal nor was the lighting.

Anyway these are only a start. Tell me what you think.

Ollie

Ollie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 21, 2007, 4:07 PM   #2

Hi,

begginning is always hard one...

Considering the No.1 photo...it would be better to have photo horizontal instead of vertical.Thatway you would not had cutted the hand in that way and no free space over her head.Conversion in sepia also could mean that white balance was out or probably hot spots from the flash. If you were using the mounted falsh not build-up flash you should have better used a white wall for reflector to kill that strong shadow.Or pull the model 2-3m from the background to miss the sahdows.

ON second one also always pay attention not to cut the body parts in a way to kill the composition(here you cut the hand)... on horizontal photos it is nice to put a subject in left of right part of the photo and to leave other space in the unique backgound or out of focus....

But in any way.... keep shooting and you will learn more and more with every new shoot...

Thanks for sharing.

RGDS Zak
ZAKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2007, 9:56 PM   #3

Thanks heaps for responding ZAK,

all the information you have given me will be really handy for the next shoot. And in a lot of ways I see exactly what you mean about composition.

As this was my very first attempt at doing any kind of portrait/modelling shots, with any luck the next shoot will be a lot better. My only issue unfortunately at the moment is that I lack gear. I need an external flash and I need backdrops and lighting. All of which I didn't have on the day.

Ollie
Old Jan 22, 2007, 8:08 AM   #4

Ok there are two more shots. Same shoot of course. When I get to do it again I will post up what I come up with then. The second shot I was trying to get as natural look as possible when I processed it. Even dropped the saturation a little too.

Especially when I get my new 50mm 1.8d prime. Should be good.

Ollie

Old Jan 24, 2007, 12:58 PM   #5

Ollie77

I like the second image in your first post, it has a nice high-key look that really works with this image. I also like the second image in your second post, nice pose and good eye contact.

Cropping is a totally subjective thing unless it has an impact on the overall image that you like.

Just to see how it will look, try framing which does not centre your model, it usually adds a dynamic element to an image. I have done an edit of one of your shots to demonstrate, hope you don't mind.
Attached Images

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2007, 1:20 PM   #6

Just one more crop for you to consider:

Remember, these do not represent an improvement in your image, just another perspective.

Ira
Attached Images

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2007, 6:31 PM   #7

Hey ira,
thanks for the comments and help. I actually don't mind the crop you have done on the B&W. In fact I think both work just as well. The second crop is good in that maybe if it were a magazine cover or say one page add, it would give it more drama selling whatever it is selling. I guess it would be upto whoever wanted to use the shots to pic the cut.

I have no idea if real portrait/model photographers actually shoot for a tight crop or if they shoot like I have then crop at the end. Either way I guess works.

Ollie
Old May 10, 2007, 11:16 PM   #8

The first one seem to have too much space at the top of the pic. It is distracting. Here is my photoshopped version of it. Notice how your attention is drawn to the eye, and not the open space.
Attached Images

matthew2000tx is offline   Reply With Quote