Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Feb 4, 2007, 3:28 AM   #1

Hi All

Havent posted in a while. We have been planing our holiday to pauanui in NZ. Should be great and i llook fwd to getting some great shots...... hopefully

anyways, my gf actually bought me the canon 50mm f1.8 for my bday and its great. anyways enuf with the blabbing, here are my very first shots with it.

thanks

ken

Last edited by kenmck15; Aug 21, 2010 at 2:07 AM.
kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 4, 2007, 6:05 AM   #2

Great shots Ken. The first one is my favorite since you captured a drilling gaze from your GF. Others are good but something about the depth of her look at you in number one . . .
Steve
BrierS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2007, 9:10 AM   #3

A good series Ken, the vibrant colours are used to good advantage.
They sure warm up our cold Canadian winter.
Geoff
limeyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2007, 12:11 PM   #4

Sorry, Ken. Nice try, though, but I think you need to keep testing

Seriously, I will take this "real" look anyday over some of the extremely over-processed, over-photoshopped, and overly made-up looks of some of this forum's other model shots. Maybe not as commercially viable, but way more visceral in appeal. --Scott
Scotious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2007, 12:16 PM   #5

very nice Ken. Number 2 and 6 are very good,Could have caught the eyes a bit better in number 1 but still a nice range of shots. You say you was testing it anyway look forward to seeing somemore
Redsquare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2007, 12:20 PM   #6

BrierS wrote:
Quote:
Great shots Ken. The first one is my favorite since you captured a drilling gaze from your GF. Others are good but something about the depth of her look at you in number one . . .
Steve
thanks mate

1 is also my favourite

ke
Old Feb 4, 2007, 12:21 PM   #7

limeyg wrote:
Quote:
A good series Ken, the vibrant colours are used to good advantage.
They sure warm up our cold Canadian winter.
Geoff
hi geoff

thanks mate. These are stil early days with this lens and i hope to get more out of it.

thanks for you always warm comments

cheers
Ken
Old Feb 4, 2007, 12:27 PM   #8

Scotious wrote:
Quote:
Sorry, Ken. Nice try, though, but I think you need to keep testing

Seriously, I will take this "real" look anyday over some of the extremely over-processed, over-photoshopped, and overly made-up looks of some of this forum's other model shots. Maybe not as commercially viable, but way more visceral in appeal. --Scott
thanks mate.

I think both "real" and "pp" portrait work have their place in the world. I think its all about context of the shot. The majority of the shots, excluding the red dress were processed for a more real look. Absolute minimal skin touching and harder focus.

Where as with the red dress, skin was softened and diffused to mach that kinda softer tone i was trying to get with this shot.

But yes, at the end of the day photos are all about personal opinion and im glad you like the shots that match your style of photography.

and yea, not as commercially viable but hey......

thanks again buddy,

ken
Old Feb 4, 2007, 12:32 PM   #9

Redsquare wrote:
Quote:
very nice Ken. Number 2 and 6 are very good,Could have caught the eyes a bit better in number 1 but still a nice range of shots. You say you was testing it anyway look forward to seeing somemore
hey mate

thanks for feedback. Hahah yea in shot 1 i used f1.8 (as you do when you get a f1.8 capable lens for the 1st time) just to see what it would do and man did it shallow ou the dof big time. The shot is much shallower than i would like it to be and thats just another learning curve for me to balance out dof with each shot. Traditionally i used the std old kit lens which never really gave me a shot with not enough dof as it only really spreads to 5.6 at 55mm. but im really looking fwd to the ability to take the fstop down to possibly 1.8 and the sheer shrpness of this budget lens really puts my kit lens in its place.

Yea at the moment going to be doing plenty of test shoots as my gf needs new photos for a modelling site so we are going to try some new things and see how it goes.

I will keeep you guys posted on our sucess or disaster hahaha

cheers again mate, and hey havent seen anymore portraits from you mate.....? Would be interested to see more..

cheers
Ken
Old Feb 4, 2007, 12:48 PM   #10

Good look with the new plans

I havent really shot any portraits yet, Only of my dog:lol:. But it blows that compact away. Couldn't believe the differenceof Dslr:-)

I'll see what my Gf is doing and try and get a few either tonight or tomoz
Redsquare is offline   Reply With Quote