Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Feb 23, 2007, 1:17 PM   #11

afayec wrote:
Quote:
Hi Ken,

I love all of these. Great idea on the last. I just purchased an 85mm 1.8 (for sports)and am now contemplating the 50mm.

Angela

thank you

yea, the 50mm f1.8 is a great lens. its so cheap and it really puts the kit55 to shame.

myexperience ith lenses is verylimited as this is the only additional lens to the kit18-55 that i use so im not experienced at all in comparing leses.

after owning it a bit i generally shoot at f5.6 for the sharpest results and only really go as low as f1.8 for creative stuff

thansk again

ken

kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2007, 4:07 PM   #12

Hi Ken... long time no see....:|

glad you came back with new photos....... but when will you start doing your studio work again... it has been awhile..... (did your wedding photos attempt change your mind about studio work becaoming raality....:G)....

Nevermind the harsh light on these photos the exposure went OK.....

I like the last photos it is pretty cool attempt (I might have thought it was studio work if you had not told) and please do manual shooting lot more in the future. It will help you get better and better.... I use manual shooting almoust all of the time now, specially in studio.

The third photo could have been even better if you had been used a smaller f stop (for example f2.8) but I like it as it is.

Thanks for sharring.... se you soon...

Rgds Zak
ZAKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2007, 4:14 PM   #13

ZAKD wrote:
Quote:
Hi Ken... long time no see....:|

glad you came back with new photos....... but when will you start doing your studio work again... it has been awhile..... (did your wedding photos attempt change your mind about studio work becaoming raality....:G)....

Nevermind the harsh light on these photos the exposure went OK.....

I like the last photos it is pretty cool attempt (I might have thought it was studio work if you had not told) and please do manual shooting lot more in the future. It will help you get better and better.... I use manual shooting almoust all of the time now, specially in studio.

The third photo could have been even better if you had been used a smaller f stop (for example f2.8) but I like it as it is.

Thanks for sharring.... se you soon...

Rgds Zak
hi zak

long time no hear from you mate

your latest series look exdptional btw

yea the back lit shots came out quite well. i actually have a rather large series from that idea.

Indeed, manual was the only option with such drastic changes in light but i think the forumula came together ok.

for the 3rd shot i chose to shoot witha smaller fstop as i was testing the limits ot the lens. i found that shooting wide open 1.8 ish produced inconsistent results. some sharp and some not. Im not too keen on huge amounts of usm.

im very pleased with this lens around f5.6 and i think this is what i was shooting at for this shot.

in refercen to my studio attempt, well my house is currently being renovated so i dont have any room at all at the moment. i would love to give it a shot now i have the new camera. maybe towards mid this year i think.

for now its going to have to be outdoor and natural light work for now

good to hear from you again mate and im eager to see more of your new work

ken
Old Feb 25, 2007, 12:04 AM   #14

Ken - these are great. Kirsty looks good and I like your choice of angles, lighting, etc.

The sweet spot for the Canon 50 1.8 is around F5.6. I almost never use mine below F2.8 b/c it's too soft (F1.8 is unuseable on these lenses in my opinion). BUT - for US$69, I can't complain.

Someone mentioned the 85 1.8. While not nearly as cheap as the 50mm, this is a GREAT Canon lens and you might want to consider it for the future. :-)

24Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2007, 2:37 AM   #15

24Peter wrote:
Quote:
Ken - these are great. Kirsty looks good and I like your choice of angles, lighting, etc.

The sweet spot for the Canon 50 1.8 is around F5.6. I almost never use mine below F2.8 b/c it's too soft (F1.8 is unuseable on these lenses in my opinion). BUT - for US$69, I can't complain.

Someone mentioned the 85 1.8. While not nearly as cheap as the 50mm, this is a GREAT Canon lens and you might want to consider it for the future. :-)

thank you mate

yea, i found @ f1.8 it was very hit and miss with focus. but yea @ 5.6 the images are very very sharp and i love it.

thanks again buddy

ken