Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Mar 2, 2007, 3:50 AM   #1

Which would be an ideal lens to shoot at a wedding ?

I thought of the sigma 30mm f/1.4 ?
guillermovilas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 2, 2007, 4:58 AM   #2

i would have thought a wider lens would be better... you shouldnt need such a bright lens unless its a night time wedding
audioedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2007, 5:02 AM   #3
Super Moderator

I agree, you are going to want something wider unless you have a FF camera which wont be so bad. Most wedding photogs will use a zoom lens to allow different creativity from the vantage points they can get. The 30mm f1.4 would be nice on a 2nd body but if you are working from a single body I would suggest not. I guess this is your first time shooting a wedding, is this a friends that you are going to or is this paid work?
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2007, 5:46 AM   #4

Thanks for the help , this is a paid work therefore it must be perfrect.

I`m probably going to buy a small zoom lens , thinking of something like a Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 , from reading a couple of reviews and comments on forums i think it`s one of the best around.
Any other ideas ?

At the moment i have only 2 lenses :

- Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D - Tokina 100mm f/2.8 Macro
guillermovilas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2007, 5:51 AM   #5
Super Moderator

OK this is where things get a little more difficult as you are the main photographer for the day and if something goes wrong it is on your head. If you are going to do this you will need 2 bodies, 2 flashes, 2 lenses that cover the ranges you need, enough storage and to top that off experience of having shot other weddings. I would not undertake this without having been 2nd photographer for friends or worked alongside a pro for a few weddings otherwise their day could be ruined by the results. Getting exposure nailed for example on the dress is imperative as if you blow it out there is nothing you can do.

Honest advice is if this is happening soon then walk away if it is a way off then get some experience of shooting other wedding so you know the settings and what does and doesn't work. If you get a bad rep you will find it hard to get things going again so don't rush in.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote