Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Mar 4, 2007, 1:24 PM   #11

Great tones, great poses, great model

Best of all though, these look very natural.

I love #1. The glasses add a mystery and a bit of glam. Cool shot.

My fav is 6 though.

7 is very seductive. If that's what you were looking for, congrats!
StevenC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2007, 1:28 PM   #12

ZAKD wrote:
Quote:
Hello, my friend,

... and finally ... we were waiting for your newest photos like a rain after very long summer.....

First thing I say is that I'm very pleased with the skin tones considering that you are using a regular light-bulbs for light....great job...I have always been in troubles with light different than natural or flashes.

Using a black background is good and first thing to try and helps you create nice contrasts and very easily to unify it through levels.

I like that strange reflrection on her glasses.

Which photos do I like more than others:

and the #1 from the "weird ones".

To be honest I like thatweird one the most. It is very interesting photo. She looks very very very ... well everything but angry... attractive if you dont mind, I would say, and for some photos that is very important. Maybe for the next time try that weird photos again with less light on her face.....

For the photos #3,#4,#5 I would keep in mind to not soft skin any more (that is my personal opinion ofcourse). I think youre on the edge to soften it too much.

Very nice work... I like it....... for sure I would like to see more....

Also, you're lucky: you have 3 personin one at the same time: Model, make up artist and designer...... smootly done

don't wait that long with new work......

regards Zak

hello zak

I hope all is well with you

well its so much easier playing with lightbulbs on the 350d than it was with the fz30. took about 20mins to get everything on track and then the photos started bappening.

THanks for your detailed feedback. this is great mate. I kept looking at the shots as i procssed them thinking is the skin soft, is the skin soft enough?

At the same time while i was procesing the photos i was flicking through a fashion magazine and jst seeing how the pros do it and yea they really hack the skin to death. On the next lot i might do a few variations of skin work to see which works best.

We actually did alot more with the weird poses but just as i am rushing its a bit too much work to get in there and pp a final shot. You know, so much backing to clean etc etc, but i think the full body shot have the most potential for a fashion shot context

thanks again my friend, i will see what i can do.

ken
kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2007, 1:33 PM   #13

StevenC wrote:
Quote:
Great tones, great poses, great model

Best of all though, these look very natural.

I love #1. The glasses add a mystery and a bit of glam. Cool shot.

My fav is 6 though.

7 is very seductive. If that's what you were looking for, congrats!
Thanks Steve

Ha, you raised another point. Thsi was soething else i thought off. DO i go for all out wacky and hard make up or keep it minimal and do slight enhancements with ps?

For this shot the make up was really soft and alot of pp was needed as the key features started to get lost in the pp.

Thanks for comments on nukmber1. i too think the glasses greatly enhcned the shots in that series.

6 and 7 we were trying to achieve a very dark mood. Slochy, bendy with a towering angle and a hard eye contact.

thanks for your comments

Ken
Old Mar 4, 2007, 5:09 PM   #14

Hi there,

I am with the others - the skin tones are great. Well done. I am not a pro when it comes to portraits, but I amtrying to comment so you'll get as much input as you can. Hope it helps.

Personally I miss sharpness. That's just me - I expect at least one spot in an image to be pin-sharp (silly, ok - but I can't do anything against it).

As for the shots:

#1 - parfume! That was the first I thought. Add a parfume bottle and it's perfect. DOF works here, the colors work. Second thought: the glasses. Advertising for sunglasses.

#2 - not for me, doesn't work

#3 - great. Fashion! This is a pose and setup you could work with. Would be also good for jewelry (bracer is very prominent). The headscarf is where my attention is drawn to. The look, the face, the hand on the neck - thats great.

#4 - not for me - sorry. The look she gives destroys everything.

#5 - better, but still not a keeper. I would try that again with other DOF, a slightly other angle - that puzzled, asking look - work on it, try for another mouth and other eyes (little modifications) and the softer light from #4

#6 - great. the look she gives is just perfect. DOF is very nice. In this shot I missed an earring... comeon - she poses for an earring! But also the dress or the necklace and the headscarf are good here. If the dress was to be modeled I'd try for some more detail and light at the shoulder straps. Just a tad. Some reflexes on the button for example...

#7 - great idea, shoes is what came into my mind almost instantly. "Shoes every woman would kill for!" or the like *smile* you get the idea. DOF is a challenge here but I like how her arm(s) and hand(s) direct you towards the feet and shoes. Dress isnot distracting - works. The hairdo works too. Maybe she could mix into that angry look a tad seduction - but don't overdo it.

#8 - the crop doesn't work for me as I really think "shoes" here - even more as both of her hands point towards it.

There you go, I tried to be as direct and honest as possible - sorry for some harsh words but these were my first impressions - and if you go for some high fashion it's important what a picture means to the audience - will they turn the magazines page or will they stop and look?

Hope it helps,
Th.
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2007, 5:36 PM   #15

thkn777 wrote:
Quote:
Hi there,

I am with the others - the skin tones are great. Well done. I am not a pro when it comes to portraits, but I amtrying to comment so you'll get as much input as you can. Hope it helps.

Personally I miss sharpness. That's just me - I expect at least one spot in an image to be pin-sharp (silly, ok - but I can't do anything against it).

As for the shots:

#1 - parfume! That was the first I thought. Add a parfume bottle and it's perfect. DOF works here, the colors work. Second thought: the glasses. Advertising for sunglasses.

#2 - not for me, doesn't work

#3 - great. Fashion! This is a pose and setup you could work with. Would be also good for jewelry (bracer is very prominent). The headscarf is where my attention is drawn to. The look, the face, the hand on the neck - thats great.

#4 - not for me - sorry. The look she gives destroys everything.

#5 - better, but still not a keeper. I would try that again with other DOF, a slightly other angle - that puzzled, asking look - work on it, try for another mouth and other eyes (little modifications) and the softer light from #4

#6 - great. the look she gives is just perfect. DOF is very nice. In this shot I missed an earring... comeon - she poses for an earring! But also the dress or the necklace and the headscarf are good here. If the dress was to be modeled I'd try for some more detail and light at the shoulder straps. Just a tad. Some reflexes on the button for example...

#7 - great idea, shoes is what came into my mind almost instantly. "Shoes every woman would kill for!" or the like *smile* you get the idea. DOF is a challenge here but I like how her arm(s) and hand(s) direct you towards the feet and shoes. Dress isnot distracting - works. The hairdo works too. Maybe she could mix into that angry look a tad seduction - but don't overdo it.

#8 - the crop doesn't work for me as I really think "shoes" here - even more as both of her hands point towards it.

There you go, I tried to be as direct and honest as possible - sorry for some harsh words but these were my first impressions - and if you go for some high fashion it's important what a picture means to the audience - will they turn the magazines page or will they stop and look?

Hope it helps,
Th.

Hi

Thanks for your detailed comments. This is what I am looking for.

Generally if I wanted "first impression" feedback I would put it in the critique forum but I notice the people pics don't do so well but here we are.

Indeed, these pics are aimed at a higher fashion look. Im glad you have looked at this with this in mind. For me also, this look is out of my comfort zone and I too look at fashion mags and often think the shots are terrible. I have had to adjust the way I think and see the artistic side and how they are actually excellent shots at communicating an idea or theme in more ways than just plonking a model in the middle of the frame with balanced even lighting and saying "look lifeless".

I think attempting this sorta work really helps to develop a true appreciation for the levels of intricacy across the board on model, make up, clothing and acc., backing, lighting, angles etc etc etc…… that these pros go into to communicate the latest fashions in new ways.

I appreciate your feedback and will take on board your comments. Hopefully we can squeeze in a few more test sessions before the real thing as kirst isn't too keen on wacking on all the make up too often.

Moreover

Im glad that so far across the board ppl seem to think the skin work is fine. Also seems that generally lighting is fine. DOF is mixed as expected, but ofcourse I have no real set theme yet, focus is sorta freestyle at the mo.

At this time I can only hope to get better. Im quite proud of my lighting and with the results so far I don't really see any reason to splash out anymore in that area. I don't know.

Thanks again

Cheers
Ken

Old Mar 4, 2007, 8:18 PM   #16

Very well done ken! I like them all, but especially 1, 7 and 8. I can't believe you are getting these results with a desk lamp!
Nizidramanii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2007, 8:24 PM   #17

Nizidramanii wrote:
Quote:
Very well done ken! I like them all, but especially 1, 7 and 8. I can't believe you are getting these results with a desk lamp!
thank you buddy

Haha, yea 2 desk lamps from a building store and 2 silver lined umbrellas and 100w bulbs..... with teh canon i dont need 200w like i did for teh fz30.

thanks again mate

ken
Old Mar 5, 2007, 12:44 AM   #18

just removed the catch light from the glasses, does it look better?

Attached Images

Old Mar 5, 2007, 3:09 AM   #19

The catch light is good. Just sharpen a tad more, like this:

Give the viewer a dedicated point to look at that way. The sunglasses and the catchlight are the eyecatchers here, also the left eye in the shadows, then the lips (my POV). The blurred necklace with the heart medaillon comes last. Think of fashion shows, flashlights - harsh lights everywhere. Especially in the sunglasses. Very slight other adjustments made.

/wave
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2007, 3:22 AM   #20

thkn777 wrote:
Quote:
The catch light is good. Just sharpen a tad more, like this:

Give the viewer a dedicated point to look at that way. The sunglasses and the catchlight are the eyecatchers here, also the left eye in the shadows, then the lips (my POV). The blurred necklace with the heart medaillon comes last. Think of fashion shows, flashlights - harsh lights everywhere. Especially in the sunglasses. Very slight other adjustments made.

/wave
interesting take on the shot

i too played with the sharpening as this is one of the final steps in my pp work flow and i too tried a higher level of sharpness but felt quite strongly that it should be backed off.

i appreciateyour pov and effort you have put in to communicate your idea.

cheers
ken