Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Mar 12, 2007, 9:52 PM   #1

Glen Lastiwka
GlenL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 13, 2007, 5:37 AM   #2

Hi GlenL,
I wanted to start studio set up( not on professional scale,as an hobbist)Could you please give me a bit of "rundown" or nay web site where amature or hobbiest give me some idea or whole concept
To give an idea of my room size is 10' by 12'(approx) and roof is at about 8' to 8 1/2' (approx).would like to prefer to start with one light system then slowly develop as I get the feel for it .
mcliu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2007, 8:19 AM   #3

MCLIU: Off of the main forum, there's a forum called "Studio lighting, flash and other"towards the top. Within that forum, the very first post is a permanent post, and it has TONS of links that will give you a good start on studios setup. You could spend a few days reading all of the information contained within that single post! Enjoy!
HughesInNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2007, 11:50 AM   #4

mcliu wrote:
Quote:
Hi GlenL,
I wanted to start studio set up( not on professional scale,as an hobbist)Could you please give me a bit of "rundown" or nay web site where amature or hobbiest give me some idea or whole concept
To give an idea of my room size is 10' by 12'(approx) and roof is at about 8' to 8 1/2' (approx).would like to prefer to start with one light system then slowly develop as I get the feel for it .
I got all the info I needed from the links posted in studio and lighting forum, I printed out what I needed and away I went, I'm not a pro yet, I'm still in the learning curve.

Glen Lastiwka
Old Mar 13, 2007, 1:24 PM   #5

thanks for help..
mcliu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2007, 1:34 PM   #6

looks good mate

ken
kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2007, 3:08 PM   #7

Thanks Ken:|

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Glen Lastiwka
Old Mar 13, 2007, 6:00 PM   #8

I think you are underexposing all your shots man. this particular one has a more or less correct exposure on the top right ear where a spot light is hitting . the rest of the photo is severely underexposed. Thus image looks duller then it should. The skin tones should look brilliant under studio lights if exposed properly.

either increase the light, or open up the apperture or increase ISO. You can tweak exposure if you shoot RAW but it is best to get it right when you shoot.
when you just starting it is a good idea to buy a light/flash meter. Use it to set up your lights power and set the exposure properly.

I did no postprocessing. Just increased exposure by 1.7 EV in Adobe Lightroom.

Attached Images

O.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2007, 6:50 PM   #9

I agree about the underexposure, but I wasn't quite sure what the goal was here.

Does your strobe have some kind of spotlight modifier? Is that what you were testing?
Nizidramanii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2007, 4:53 PM   #10

O.S. wrote:
Quote:
I think you are underexposing all your shots man. this particular one has a more or less correct exposure on the top right ear where a spot light is hitting . the rest of the photo is severely underexposed. Thus image looks duller then it should. The skin tones should look brilliant under studio lights if exposed properly.

either increase the light, or open up the apperture or increase ISO. You can tweak exposure if you shoot RAW but it is best to get it right when you shoot.
when you just starting it is a good idea to buy a light/flash meter. Use it to set up your lights power and set the exposure properly.

I did no postprocessing. Just increased exposure by 1.7 EV in Adobe Lightroom.

Ok I should have mentioned I was going for the natural look rather than blasted in lighting,I know thats the right way, and I did underexpose this inPS. But that's ok your always welcome to give me your suggestions.

Glen Lastiwka