Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Jun 28, 2007, 11:54 PM   #1

I took this because I thought it would make a sweet photo.

Derek034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 29, 2007, 3:21 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Hi Derek,

I know you are considering moving towards Pro work so here is my C&C.

The very first thing I noticed (as my internet was going really slowly and loaded the photo like it was the mid 90's) is that the shot is not straight so you need to check this on every photo before presenting it in a portfolio or web etc.

Second, what are we looking at, there is not a focal point, there is not a subject. I see people, I see tents were I guess people are selling something but I don't know where to look and then there is no context to it.

Lastly you were not helped out by the harsh lighting from the sun which has pushed the limits of the cameras dynamic range blowing some of the whites out. I've been trying to work out if it would have been better being less exposed but looking at the faces I would say not.

Personally I would allow this one to hit the proverbial cutting floor and use it as a learning experience.

Mark
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2007, 7:18 AM   #3

I agree with Mark. I don't know what you want me to look at, and if my attention wanders, all I see are faces that are either partially or completely obscured by harsh shadows.

If you were trying to get the double yellow line to direct my attention, it would have helped if it weren't blocked so closely.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2007, 12:05 PM   #4

Mark1616 wrote:
Quote:
Hi Derek,

I know you are considering moving towards Pro work so here is my C&C.

The very first thing I noticed (as my internet was going really slowly and loaded the photo like it was the mid 90's) is that the shot is not straight so you need to check this on every photo before presenting it in a portfolio or web etc.

Second, what are we looking at, there is not a focal point, there is not a subject. I see people, I see tents were I guess people are selling something but I don't know where to look and then there is no context to it.

Lastly you were not helped out by the harsh lighting from the sun which has pushed the limits of the cameras dynamic range blowing some of the whites out. I've been trying to work out if it would have been better being less exposed but looking at the faces I would say not.

Personally I would allow this one to hit the proverbial cutting floor and use it as a learning experience.

Mark
Quote:
well the focal point are people, tent's at an art show. and they didn't even bother telling me no picture. So I did pretty well even though there is no focal point?
Old Jun 29, 2007, 12:33 PM   #5

Not really...the focal point is the whole reason for a picture to be made. And it not being straight makes it look like a snapshot, not a photograph.
Old Jun 29, 2007, 12:37 PM   #6

Really?

thanks for the fyi. I will remeber that.
Old Jun 29, 2007, 4:26 PM   #7

Derek034 wrote:
Quote:
well the focal point are people, tent's at an art show. and they didn't even bother telling me no picture. So I did pretty well even though there is no focal point?
The focal point is what draws the attention of the viewer. A common focal point is the convergence of two or more lines, like a vanishing point (i.e.: train tracks) or even cleavage.

"People" is hardly ever a focal point. A person can be afocal point, but no one in this shot qualifies.

The only thing that comes close to being a focal pointis the street off in the distance, but when my attention finally gets there, there's nothing interesting to look at.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2007, 4:28 PM   #8

TCav wrote:
Quote:
Derek034 wrote:
Quote:
The focal point is what draws the attention of the viewer. A common focal point is the convergence of two or more lines, like a vanishing point (i.e.: train tracks) or even cleavage.

"People" is hardly ever a focal point. A person can be afocal point, but no one in this shot qualifies.

The only thing that comes close to being a focal pointis the street off in the distance, but when my attention finally gets there, there's nothing interesting to look at.
Thank you mate. I will remeber this for the next time I take one.
Old Jun 29, 2007, 4:28 PM   #9

TCav wrote:
Quote:
Derek034 wrote:
Quote:

Thank you mate. I will remeber this for the next time I take one.
Old Jun 29, 2007, 6:56 PM   #10

An example of a focal point: