Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jul 12, 2007, 11:17 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 242
Default

ZAKD wrote:
Quote:
...I have been told about Tamron AF 28-75mm f/2.8 SP XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) macro

or

Tamron AF 17-50mm f/2.8 SP XR Di II LD Aspherical [IF] (Canon) Test Report / Review
I had the Tamron 28-75. When it worked it was a great lens (I know Frank loves his). But there were also lots of reported problems with the lens focusing on the XT (350D) (seemed to be OK with other Canon bodies). I had mine calibrated twice by Tamron and eventually they gave me my money back (even though I purchased from a retailer). So... check the lens before you buy it for your 350D. The 17-50 2.8 by all accounts is a great lens. But not really long enough for portraits in my book.

The new Tamron 18-250 is also getting nice reviews. Very sharp for such a long zoom. I may be travelling to China in a couple of months and if so, will probably get one for my XT so I only have to cart one lens.
24Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2007, 2:46 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
kenmck15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,568
Default

24Peter wrote:
Quote:
ZAKD wrote:
Quote:
...I have been told about Tamron AF 28-75mm f/2.8 SP XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) macro

or

Tamron AF 17-50mm f/2.8 SP XR Di II LD Aspherical [IF] (Canon) Test Report / Review
I had the Tamron 28-75. When it worked it was a great lens (I know Frank loves his). But there were also lots of reported problems with the lens focusing on the XT (350D) (seemed to be OK with other Canon bodies). I had mine calibrated twice by Tamron and eventually they gave me my money back (even though I purchased from a retailer). So... check the lens before you buy it for your 350D. The 17-50 2.8 by all accounts is a great lens. But not really long enough for portraits in my book.

The new Tamron 18-250 is also getting nice reviews. Very sharp for such a long zoom. I may be travelling to China in a couple of months and if so, will probably get one for my XT so I only have to cart one lens.
1 guy got me all confused. So is the range of the 17-50 pretty much identical to the kit18-55lens? The guy says na its not and blabs on, then he goes hold on a min its the same.........

Can yo uplease clarify

and yes, i have read truck loads of reviews mentioning issues with tthe lens but they all say when they got a version that actually worked it was awesome. I will have to see wat happens.

cheers
Ken
kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2007, 6:00 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 242
Default

kenmck15 wrote:
Quote:
24Peter wrote:
Quote:
ZAKD wrote:
Quote:
...I have been told about Tamron AF 28-75mm f/2.8 SP XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) macro

or

Tamron AF 17-50mm f/2.8 SP XR Di II LD Aspherical [IF] (Canon) Test Report / Review
I had the Tamron 28-75. When it worked it was a great lens (I know Frank loves his). But there were also lots of reported problems with the lens focusing on the XT (350D) (seemed to be OK with other Canon bodies). I had mine calibrated twice by Tamron and eventually they gave me my money back (even though I purchased from a retailer). So... check the lens before you buy it for your 350D. The 17-50 2.8 by all accounts is a great lens. But not really long enough for portraits in my book.

The new Tamron 18-250 is also getting nice reviews. Very sharp for such a long zoom. I may be travelling to China in a couple of months and if so, will probably get one for my XT so I only have to cart one lens.
1 guy got me all confused. So is the range of the 17-50 pretty much identical to the kit18-55lens? The guy says na its not and blabs on, then he goes hold on a min its the same.........

Can yo uplease clarify

and yes, i have read truck loads of reviews mentioning issues with tthe lens but they all say when they got a version that actually worked it was awesome. I will have to see wat happens.

cheers
Ken

Well the focal length is (approx.)the same on the Canon kit 18-55 and the Tamron 17-50. The main difference is the max apeture. The Tamron is a constant 2.8; the Canon kit is F3.5-5.6. A larger apeture tends to create a shallower DOF meaning a more blurred background, generally desirable for portrait shots. So the Tamron does have a slight to moderateadvantage over the kit lens in terms of blurring the backgrounddue to it's larger apeture (the Tamron is also heaps sharper at all apetures than the Canon kit lens so that's a big advantage.)

But for me, I prefer at least an 85mm on my XTfor portraits,sincea longer focal length like that also helps blur the background and isolate my subject. And many of my favorite people shotsare taken with the Canon 70-200 F4 lens at or near 200mm.

I think you have the Canon 50 1.8. Since that lens doesn't really sharpen up until you hit F2.8, it's comparable to what you'd get with the Tamron 17-50 at the long end of the zoom.Try a Canon 85mm 1.8 and see what a great portrait lens is like.

24Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2007, 7:08 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
kenmck15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,568
Default

24Peter wrote:
Quote:
kenmck15 wrote:
Quote:
24Peter wrote:
Quote:
ZAKD wrote:
Quote:
...I have been told about Tamron AF 28-75mm f/2.8 SP XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) macro

or

Tamron AF 17-50mm f/2.8 SP XR Di II LD Aspherical [IF] (Canon) Test Report / Review
I had the Tamron 28-75. When it worked it was a great lens (I know Frank loves his). But there were also lots of reported problems with the lens focusing on the XT (350D) (seemed to be OK with other Canon bodies). I had mine calibrated twice by Tamron and eventually they gave me my money back (even though I purchased from a retailer). So... check the lens before you buy it for your 350D. The 17-50 2.8 by all accounts is a great lens. But not really long enough for portraits in my book.

The new Tamron 18-250 is also getting nice reviews. Very sharp for such a long zoom. I may be travelling to China in a couple of months and if so, will probably get one for my XT so I only have to cart one lens.
1 guy got me all confused. So is the range of the 17-50 pretty much identical to the kit18-55lens? The guy says na its not and blabs on, then he goes hold on a min its the same.........

Can yo uplease clarify

and yes, i have read truck loads of reviews mentioning issues with tthe lens but they all say when they got a version that actually worked it was awesome. I will have to see wat happens.

cheers
Ken

Well the focal length is (approx.)the same on the Canon kit 18-55 and the Tamron 17-50. The main difference is the max apeture. The Tamron is a constant 2.8; the Canon kit is F3.5-5.6. A larger apeture tends to create a shallower DOF meaning a more blurred background, generally desirable for portrait shots. So the Tamron does have a slight to moderateadvantage over the kit lens in terms of blurring the backgrounddue to it's larger apeture (the Tamron is also heaps sharper at all apetures than the Canon kit lens so that's a big advantage.)

But for me, I prefer at least an 85mm on my XTfor portraits,sincea longer focal length like that also helps blur the background and isolate my subject. And many of my favorite people shotsare taken with the Canon 70-200 F4 lens at or near 200mm.

I think you have the Canon 50 1.8. Since that lens doesn't really sharpen up until you hit F2.8, it's comparable to what you'd get with the Tamron 17-50 at the long end of the zoom.Try a Canon 85mm 1.8 and see what a great portrait lens is like.
Thanks mate

i am looking at buying the F4L 70-200 canon later this year. ANd yes i have been really impressed with teh sharpness of the tamron acorss the baord.

I was originally looking at just buyig 1 lens I thnk its the 17-40 F4L but its way to expensive and i thoght i would rather get the tamron (either 17-50 or 28-70) and get a 430ex.



Cheers
Ken
kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2007, 1:29 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
ZAKD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 962
Default

Hi Ken,

When lens are in matter than there is no end to what is good and what is better.....

To start first I did not heard of problems with Tamron 28-75.... but it could be there is always possibility to every lens. I had it in my hand, trying for awhile and it is nice looking, not heavy lens for walk around with f2.8. I alswo had in hand Tamron 18-50 f2.8 and it is do beautiful looking lens and quality also, big differance from kit Canon even if they are with the similar 18-55.

But to compare with prime, it is a different style, Ofcourse 85mm prime are something special (i heard so good things about them)but it is prime and for the prime you will need a lot of space and for the inside shot with 85mm prime you will need at least 8 to 10m for complete figure. For outside it will be great but again use your legs for zooming. But you allready have a prime, I do not think you will buy another one.

Canon 17-40 L are great lens but not for portrait I think there are good for lendscape or such.

70-200 Canon is my next lens probably.

To finish I think you need something like from 24 to 80 or 100 for portait and walk around lens, so find something in between what you like.

I heard about some lens(whish one was it.... let me think) of the range 18-105mm that are offten used as good for portrait and all around lens....was It sigma or Canon, check it.........

Depending what you want to buy. If you want just a portrait lens and prime lens are in the game than Peter told you 85mmbut if you do not want prime ??? for example I have Canon 28-70L and I bought it used one for 600eur but it is outstanding lens...... maybe try Tamron 28-75 for now, you have one year warrany and you can change it if not working well.....

Hope you will find soon and to see your new photos....



ZAKD is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:09 AM.