Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Jul 7, 2007, 8:19 PM   #1
Super Moderator

Hi,

Just bought an Elincrom D-Lite 2 kit as I was organising a Charity Ball and wanted to offer photos of the evening.

Here are a few taken with the setup and Canon 5D and Canon 24-105mm f4 L.

This is only the 2nd time I've used studio lights so I have a huge amount to learn but each time I'm getting better.

Please do give me suggestions for doing better next time as I always want to progress, especially as this is not my strong point (at all) so I'm open to learn.

Thanks for looking.

Mark.

5 The band.

Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 7, 2007, 8:39 PM   #2

Well i don't know much about portriat lighting, but i think you're off to a pretty good start
clem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2007, 1:02 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Thanks Clem.

Any more suggestions/ideas appreciated guys and girls.
Old Jul 10, 2007, 2:56 PM   #4

I really like all of your shots.

My only minor criticism might be that the light source is a little too far to the left. That casts some, perhaps"unflattering" is the right word,shadows on the faces of some of the subjects, especially those facing to the right. Perhaps some fill flash, or a lesser light source on the right might also have helped.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2007, 1:22 AM   #5

Ok Mark1616, It is a coincidance that , I too have recently purchased Elinchrome Digit II kit recently and installed it . I started with one subject.But here I see you managing with a group
I like # 2,4,5,7,& 8. Lighting is well within the control.But as the group size increases the inverse law has come into play.I feel we need one more soft box to cover the whole group.
Here I would like to mention about # 10 image ,the left lady has got the less light. A reflector is an obvious choice. IMHO.
(PS:- this is just an opinion from an another starter.)
mcliu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2007, 1:40 AM   #6

Sorry for 2nd posting,
I too need some advice ( actualy I have posted it somewhere else)
Here is the link:-
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...98&forum_id=88
mcliu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2007, 7:22 AM   #7

Nice pictures, good skin tones, which is always a challenge. The only advice I can give is the choice of background color. When shooting something of a formal nature, most people will be dressed in black. A black background against everyone's black atire makes the subjects blend in with the background. I'd use a lighter background, if possible. We've got a salmon swirled with peach and white colored muslin that we use often for formal events, and that always produces excellent results, and good contrast between the background and subject(s). Other than that, the pics were very well done. Kudos!
HughesInNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2007, 2:13 AM   #8
Super Moderator

Thanks guys.

The background was my biggest concern as at the moment I only have the purple usedor white which I didn't think would be good for such formal shots.

If I'm going to be doing one for money then I will for sure get a different colour..... what colours do others use for formal shots such as these?
Old Jul 13, 2007, 6:44 AM   #9

How about gray? Maybe 18%? Then you could use it to set your white balance.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2007, 8:01 AM   #10

We originally went with Chromakey gree, and then went through the long, tedious process of extracting the background and replacing it with a digical one. Now that we do this frequently, there's not enough time to do that. So, we're using colored muslins.

As mentioned earlier, we have a salmon swirled color that works well for some formal gatherings, as well as pageant photos. As mentioned by TCav, grey works pretty well, make sure it's a light grey. We've also used blue before, as well, and that works pretty well. We try to fit the background with the customer. For example, we're doing formal pictures for a high school's 25th reunion in September. Their colors are red and black, so we're going to use a red background.

There are plenty of places to get inexpensive backgrounds. Very rarely do I have to spend over $60 (Including S&H) for a 10x20 muslin background.
HughesInNC is offline   Reply With Quote