Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Aug 4, 2007, 7:54 PM   #1
Super Moderator

This is the first time I've been the first photographer, much more pressure than when being assistant/2nd shooter..... can't imagine why.

This was for a friend and I've learnt a lot as I made quitea few 'school boy errors' with posing/framing, not using fill flash where it would have helpedetc so was a very valid experience and my friends will still have a good range of photos of their special day.

Please let me know what you think and add any suggestions etc...... oh I know there are quite a few, I just was so excited about seeing them I had to share. It's 2am here and got in from the wedding about 2 hours ago and been backing them up and selected these for here.

Enjoy (I hope)

Lastly I've not done these in any particular order as that would be organised and I'm too tired for that!!

Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 5, 2007, 12:22 AM   #2
Administrator

Mark, I've got to ask... Was that just the wind making the veil flow behind the bride in the photo? If so, it must have been breezy outside. That's an interesting shot! It's my favorite of the set (and would be without the veil like that, too).

I'm sure you've got your work cut out for you sorting through them. I see you were using both a 30D and 5D for the shots you posted here.

I actually spent much of yesterday working on Post Processing Wedding photos. But, not the kind of PP that you'll be doing (or, at least I hope not). Someone had a memory card they couldn't read and I volunteered to help recover the images. Windows wouldn't even see the card and no recovery programs they tried could get anything from it, period. Something bad went wrong with it (not just a simple FAT corruption issue). This was a card used by a photographer at a small wedding ceremony where nobody else was taking photos. Not good. When all was said and done, only 15 images from the wedding were recovered (by using some linux based tools to create a disk image of the card that we could use with standard image recovery programs).

The photographer has a reshoot of some of the photos scheduled for tomorrow after giving the bad news to the couple earlier in the week (and they now know that 15 images have been recovered). But, that doesn't get back the other moments lost from the actual wedding day that were on that card.

The moral of that story? No matter how careful you are, or how much backup equipment you have, stuff can go wrong.

Are you sure you really want to do weddings? lol

If so, you may want to have a second shooter whenever possible, just in case something bad like this happens. ;-)

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2007, 12:51 AM   #3

All the photos look nice to me. Especially the one in the ''under construction building.''

That is one interesting photograph, stark contrast and all; lot of information there.

And I will agree with JimC about the 'hazards' of wedding photography. I'm thinking I'd rather rob a bank and do the time thantake pictures of a wedding as the main photographer.:-)
Andrew Waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2007, 2:46 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Thanks guys I know things can and do go wrong but it all adds to the 'excitement' LOL!

Jim that is terrible for the photographer and I'm glad the editing I'm going to be doing is far less frantic than with those. I am hoping to become a full time pro over the next year in this game (possibly crazy, time will tell) and have another 2 free ones booked for friends so I can get the practise I need shooting the whole event and should also have a couple as 2nd/assistant with the pro I sometimes work with so every little helps.

I thoroughly enjoyed the day and would have liked a bit longer with just the B&G but they got off schedule due to wanting to visit a sick gran in hospital for a couple of photos as they are not sure how long she has. If I had thought of this I would have taken some of them around the hospital for a different feel again. We probably had about 20 mins in total including walking time around the grounds so pleased that I with these and the others I got.

Jim to answer your question, there was very little wind rather I got the groom just off shot to drop the veil to create this.

My personal fave is the building site shot as I like the drama and contrast.
Old Aug 5, 2007, 11:30 PM   #5
spy

Mark, your brave to have been the primary photographer! It gives me chills and I brake out in a cold sweat just thinking about shooting one of those. For me too many things can just go wrong and even more than that is brides and mother-in-laws freeking out over missed shots.....it's going to take a lot before I put myself in that spot.

I hope you don't mind Mark that I took the liberty of taking the shots you posted to work them through some ps effects such as bw, increase black levels, gaussian blur, infrared, lens blur and diffuse glow.

Let me know what you think.

Attached Images

spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2007, 11:30 PM   #6
spy

Attached Images

Old Aug 5, 2007, 11:35 PM   #7
spy

Attached Images

Old Aug 5, 2007, 11:35 PM   #8
spy

Attached Images

Old Aug 7, 2007, 8:20 AM   #9
Super Moderator

Hi Kevin,

I like what you have done here, I hadn't had time to think about any PP work and never the best at it so this is really helpful. I'm going to be putting a photobook together for them (they were working to a really small budget so a lot of people helped with food, music, drinks etc and mine was the photography) so will try some more creative edits.

Thanks,

Mark
Old Aug 7, 2007, 4:55 PM   #10

Hey Mark,

Great series! I'm getting into the same boat as you. I got volunteered to do a wedding for my father-in-law's visiting nurse & her groom on the 25th & I can only hope that mine turn out as well as yours. It will be my 1st as a solo & have only been the "back-up" a few times. I'm fairly confident but try to keep myself humbled by testing my camera & all other equipment the day before & then pray really hard! The couple realize that this is my 1st & seemfine with the situation.

I must say that I really enjoyed review this series. Especially the blown veil....great idea! Also, the staggered shots of the 2 are nicely done. I think that Kevin's version of the "Rings & Program" & the "Walk in the Park" are right there. Very nicely done!

Thanks for sharing!
Ron
wadue is offline   Reply With Quote