Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Aug 17, 2003, 7:30 AM   #11

LCohen......I think I have another picture in this exact same spot with no flash....but I seem to recall that we were under exposed. Let me see if I can post it.

If this is the case....what else could I of done different to correct this problem? Flash apparently has made the image look fake...but no flash would of created too dark of shadows...So what is the alternative? I guess maybe making some exposure corrections? Really not sure, I am a newby and mainly shoot in fully auto mode. Thanks for any input you may have on the matter.

Respectfully,

ShallowRunner
ShallowRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2003, 12:21 AM   #12

It's the tree .... it looks VERY odd.
Alfisti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2003, 4:51 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShallowRunner
LCohen......I think I have another picture in this exact same spot with no flash....but I seem to recall that we were under exposed. Let me see if I can post it.

If this is the case....what else could I of done different to correct this problem? Flash apparently has made the image look fake...but no flash would of created too dark of shadows...So what is the alternative? I guess maybe making some exposure corrections? Really not sure, I am a newby and mainly shoot in fully auto mode. Thanks for any input you may have on the matter.
You could have stood in a different spot where you wouldn't be in shadow. Last time I went to the Grand Canyon there was a lot of edge to be photographed by
MrPogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2003, 11:18 PM   #14

I've taken a few shots like that, where the people were illuminated by the flash and appeared to be superimposed into the picture.
UrbanPhotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2003, 11:29 PM   #15
NHL

How this with the shadows?

8)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2003, 3:39 AM   #16

Fine job NHL - the shadows make a world of diffrence. And they're pointing in the right direction. Good job IMO!
But I think the shadow are a bit too black - they should be darkgrey.
Shallows colors seems more natural for a holidayshot like this. You saturated it a bit too much for my taste anyway.

The problem with Shallows cut-and-past job is to me - as mentioned by others - the blurrish shoes. He and his wife are - like - floating on the rock. Not standing.

I would not use the contrast/brightness - but the Levels function instead. This gives you a possibility to adjust much more precise in all the tone spectre.
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2003, 5:12 AM   #17
NHL

Quote:
Fine job NHL - the shadows make a world of diffrence. And they're pointing in the right direction. Good job IMO!
But I think the shadow are a bit too black - they should be darkgrey.
Shallows colors seems more natural for a holidayshot like this. You saturated it a bit too much for my taste anyway.
I did not try to perfect it, but to show what could be done using the tips on my previous post (and PBase was down for several days):

1. The shadow was made with the 'Dodge' tool actually and could be of any color/grayness depending on how many time one went through the coloring... and I could do the same over the offending branch on the foreground to precisely tone it down as well!

2. The saturation layer is also done on purpose since one can also easily tone it down by just varying this layer opacity to adjust its blend with the background layer (where the two persons remained unchanged)... 8)
Old Aug 21, 2003, 12:24 PM   #18

You know what NHL.............I like it! Looks much better than my original! Thanks for sharing the shadow tip. I know that I will use it in the future. Your picture stands out way more than mine. Nice job.

ShallowRunner
ShallowRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2003, 12:43 PM   #19

Sorry NHL - I was not trying to hurt your feelings. You did a fine job. Apologies!
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2003, 2:14 PM   #20
NHL

Klaus

No problem, I like constructive criticism, keep them coming (can't please everyone)! I did overdo it on purpose especially the saturation layer, but like I said with Photoshop it's actually better to go overboard and tone it back with the opacity slider (rather than not having enough and having to go back to increase the saturation level again) since this layer is preserved in photoshop. The next step would be to change the flash color on the offending tree branch in the foreground... :lol: :lol: :lol: