Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Aug 15, 2003, 7:50 PM   #1

Default Is this fake or not?????

This is a picture I took of my wife and I at the grand canyon. I think the picture came out real well. I did set the flash on the lowest setting and forced the flash. I think it provided good lighting for our shadows.

But what is driving me nuts....is that everyone I show this picture to think that this is a fake picture. They say it looks like we are standing in front of a back drop? Why is that? Was it the flash, or the haze in the back ground that makes them say this?

What do you all think? Maybe I am missing something or not seeing something that they are. So what do you think and if it does look fake....what can I do to make it not look fake....since indeed it is not.

ShallowRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 15, 2003, 9:13 PM   #2

It's a great shot, but I think the contrast is too vivid- you look so vibrant, while the background subdued...

Also, your feet especially almost seem to- hover.

It is indeed a weird shot, but very nice!
airplanenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2003, 9:13 PM   #3

It's a great shot, but I think the contrast is too vivid- you look so vibrant, while the background subdued...

Also, your feet especially almost seem to- hover.

It is indeed a weird shot, but very nice!
Old Aug 15, 2003, 9:27 PM   #4

Hhmmmm.....
:?
I never seemed to notice our feet. Your right...they do seem to hover. Interesting. So....it seems fake because my wife and I stand out too much??? Is there some way to correct this?

ShallowRunner
ShallowRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2003, 10:29 PM   #5

I think you'd need to make the background more saturated and add contrast... don't know how to do that with you guys not changing, though...
Old Aug 15, 2003, 11:16 PM   #6

excellent use of fill flash
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2003, 4:18 PM   #7

it sure is the fill flash that did it... looking at the tree above your head.. it also seem to be strange... what you could have done is simply to use the natural light instead of flash....
LCohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2003, 4:21 PM   #8

no i don't think so. it probably would have metered for the backround and they would have been in shodaw.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2003, 5:12 PM   #9
NHL

Quote:
I think you'd need to make the background more saturated and add contrast... don't know how to do that with you guys not changing, though...
In Photoshop: Make a duplicate layer then increase the contrast/saturation etc... to this new layer. Then using the eraser tool just go through and remove what was just completed over the two subjects so this area become transparent. ie the two persons that were on the original layer just go right through the top modified (contrast/saturation) layer!

... You can also change the opacity of this new layer depending on how much of the original and new layer you want to blend in. BTW adding a little shadow to the shoes area will will make it more real... Photoshop can do this as well (let says the light is coming from the flash top or side for example) :lol:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2003, 5:28 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjms
no i don't think so. it probably would have metered for the backround and they would have been in shodaw.
could you explain further? i dont think it mattered what type of metering was done.. the fill flash makes the whole thing look fake... I dont know if I can call that excellent use of fill flash?
LCohen is offline   Reply With Quote