Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Aug 22, 2003, 11:00 AM   #1

Default Big Sister (advice needed)

Hello all,

I've been hanging around here on and off for a while now trying to keep up to date on cameras and other equipment, but this is the first time I've posted.

I just have a little old Oly D490, but I fear I've caught the photo bug badly and am looking to upgrade. I'm also looking to seriously upgrade my skills as I see how bad my pictures look compared to so many of the shots I see posted here.

In any case, I have this one picture which I kind of like, but feel it was a missed opportunity in some ways.

My biggest question has to do with the round white artifact in the lower right corner. I realize it's glare of some sort resulting from the light coming in through the window. My question is, how could I have eliminated it?

I also feel as though the picture has an overall fuzzy, grainy quality to it. Is this just the lighting conditions, or is there something else I could have done to make it a little sharper?

Thanks for any opinions on these questions!
FrankM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 22, 2003, 11:29 AM   #2
NHL

It's glare alright! which will decrease the contrast of the picture (by light boucing around inside the lens elements creating a foggy effect). The right corner circle is probably a dried up water spot on the front element that would normally not show up... :?

A lens hood will prevent somewhat but will not eliminate the glare... To increase the contrast, may be a fill-in flash or flexible reflector panel from the front might make the picture better... but then the aperture will be smaller and then you might end up with a different glare effect!

... The other option is to change the angle of the shot ie move to either side maybe (so the backlight won't be as directly pointing toward the lens)?
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2003, 1:40 PM   #3

Default You betcha.....

NHL is right about the angle of the shot & the glare, although the spot on the bottom right is a lens artifact created by the light reflecting within the lens elements...that's why the better lenses have all elements multicoated (both sides). A lens hood, changing the angle of the light &/or a polarizing filter would have helped.

In my image below, I faced the same problem and readjusted my angle to the window light while using a 42" gold reflector to my immediate right...to bring her left side out of the shadow.

Old Aug 22, 2003, 6:16 PM   #4

Here is a different slant on your photo

I cropped to enhance big chair, lil kids

Used a clone tool to reduce the artifact.

Did a lil with brightness, contrast.

About three min work...but you get the idea.

Without a doubt, the PS pros on this forum could greatly improve
on my effort
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2003, 10:15 PM   #5

Hey digcamfan,
You beat me to it. :lol:
Anyway, here's my go at it. I thought I'd try since I'm really still learning photoshop myself.
I applied a little USM, auto levels,cropped, cloned (as best I could)
I also used the lasso around the feet area and adjusted colour.

jazcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2003, 12:23 PM   #6

Thank you all for your comments. In hindsight, I see now where if I would have just moved over a little more to my left, the light would not have been coming directly into the lens so much and I probably wouldn't have ended up with the amoeba. I wonder now if this artifact would have showed up in the viewfinder or on the LCD as the picture was taken? Unfortunately it was taken long enough ago that I don't recall.

jazcan, I am truly amazed at what you were able to do with Photoshop. I am aware that it is a quite powerful program, but you did a beautiful job retouching it. If you are, as you say, still learning, you give me hope that I could do similar things with it with a little effort.
FrankM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2003, 1:21 PM   #7

Jazcan....

Stunning effort!!!

Your efforts truly speak to the miracles of "repair and enhancement" of a digital photo

It is not surprising given your doggone very nice
canine photos earlier
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2003, 1:27 PM   #8
kex

Well done, jazcan!
Really good improvement.
kex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2003, 10:20 PM   #9

FrankM, digcamfan, and Kex,
Well, it's certainly not perfect and maybe if I had spent another day on it I could have achieved an even better result. The feet were really tough and the chair to the right of the feet still needs work.

I love to play around with not-so-perfect pics so that I can practise using the different tools that photoshop has to offer.
I'm truly amazed at what can be done in post-processing and I'm always striving to do better.
Thanks for the nice comments
jazcan is offline   Reply With Quote