Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Sep 30, 2007, 8:44 AM   #1
Super Moderator

Here are a selection of photos from the wedding I shot this weekend for a friend's brother and now wife. This is my 2nd wedding as main photographer and as with the first I've learnt a lot of very valuable lessons to help me improve again. This was a very hard one as the bride is not happy in front of the camera so had to be encouraging and humorous to help her relax. Did OK but didn't get as many as I would have like with the B&G.

Shot with Canon 5D and Canon 30D. Lenses Canon 85mm f1.8, 50mm f1.8, 24-105mm f4 L IS.

Please let me know what you think and pass on any advice.

Mark

Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 30, 2007, 11:13 AM   #2

Very nice pictures...a great sense of fun about them...I know if my wedding pictures were as nicely done back about 25 years ago...we would probably haul them out more often.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2007, 3:01 PM   #3

Nice pics, I especially like #3 and #8. And, congrats on the shots, because shooting white on white is ALWAYS a challenge. Black on black, as well, but white on white, to me, is more challenging. Kudos!
HughesInNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2007, 6:02 PM   #4
Super Moderator

Thanks, I'm pretty happy with these, and of course the ones posted are my faves of the day. 25 years ago I would have been 7 years old (it's just turning to be my birthday as I post this) so was not shooting wedding then LOL.

Shooting white especially in a high contrast environment is hard, I always keep an eye on the histogram to ensure I'm not blowing them out. Sometimes you lose some but generally OK.

A couple more weeks now until my next one so looking forward to seeing some improvement again.

Thanks again for your comments.
Old Sep 30, 2007, 7:35 PM   #5

Hi Mark!

Well done on some lovely wedding photos. Congratulations! I know how challenging wedding photos can be (I was asked a few times to do some wedding photos, and that was back even in the days with my trusty Fuji P&S... and I'm certainly no pro, but the people were thankful with the results).

I think you've done a great job with the exposure and depth of field, utilising background blur effectively, and maybe with just a few "mild" blown highlights (maybe... in the brightest parts of photos 8 & 10... but I could be wrong), but imho this is often better than having the rest of the photo "underexposed".

Some "constructive" thoughts. (I like all of the photos, in fact I "love" a number of them too!)

photo 3... is a great idea, and such cute children. But it looks like the boy is "elbowing" his sister (or the flower girl... if it's not his sister)... which makes her look just a little uncomfortable .... I would've asked him to put his arm down just a fraction... but maybe you didn't have time and just "caught the moment"...

Photo 4... would it have been possible to go just "slightly" wider to get more (or the whole) church / chapel in? (or was it still a lot longer?) But yeah, you dont' want the couple to be just "dots" against a building in the distance! So the perspective as you should is really good.

Photo 6... maybe it's just me, but I wonder if you could have opted for a background that doesn't have "tombstones" (even if they are nicely blurred!) Maybe I'm just too picky on this, and maybe the couple or others won't mind... but I thought having less "death and fewer tombstones" in the background.. the better! (though of course, death is a real thing and not to hide from reality! There is hope and faith in God too!) To me the background tombstones in photo 6 are more noticable than those in photo 3.

Photo 7...Could you maybe clone out the buildings on the top right of this photo. I love the group perspective! Love to see an original sized one!

photo 10... don't know if this would have been possible, but maybe a bit of fill flash to lighten the groom's face (the darker patches around his eyes and mouth are just the slightest too dark..) However of course we wouldn't want the flash to cause overexposure on the white clothes!

Hope you don't mind my feedback.. I think you should be proud of the results... and I trust the couple are MORE than happy with it. Just trying to give you some honest throughts. I'd be very satisfied if I would have taken those photos... as I always try to learn, too!

Paul

pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2007, 4:26 AM   #6
Super Moderator

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your constructive criticism, always good to get advice from someone outside of things who looks at the photography as a whole. I really thought I had replied to this already so sorry taking so long.

Here are my excuses LOL

#3 was literally as they were playing around the tree so a lined up and shot, didn't even notice the elbow at the time, just thought they were being really cute.

#4 that is about half of the church, there are trees around so moving much further back would have put them in the shot so went for the portrait version.

#6 schoolboy error, in the heat of the moment I'm still not looking at the background

#7 probably should clone but was being lazy.

#10 that was me doing too much in post, his eyes were dark but not that bad but when trying to bring some more detail into the whites/creams this happened. Should have taken more time but wanted to get them up here. The version they will see won't be so bad.

Thanks again and glad you liked them.

Did you check out Bubble Boy and Let me Eat Cake, the other two threads I posted from the wedding?

Mark
Old Oct 3, 2007, 4:50 AM   #7

IMHO Just a few suggestions, have a walk around the the wedding

photographers shops in your area they usually have photo displays

in the windows look at colour and detail in the wedding costumes and

facial tones especially how facial makeup looks in the photo's, face blush

lipstick etc. and how lace appears and where soft focus is used to best effect.

In film shooting, metering is done on the highlights of

faces and costumes not the scene as a whole. so maybe a little underexposure

with digital and some PP to good effect might work out better for digital captures

and care not to go too hard on noise reduction as a lot of detail is lost that way.

Recommended accessories: tripod, flash, soft focus and warmfilters and in PP

a colour film pack like DXO colour film pack.

Not a bad first effort..............................musket
musket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2007, 4:44 AM   #8

Mark,

Thanks for your indepth replies / explanations and further info about the photos regarding the points I made. Much appreciated.

I posted a reply to the "let me eat cake" photos, I loved the first one!

I'm sure the couple will be more than pleased with the photos you made..

Well done again,

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2007, 4:53 AM   #9
Super Moderator

Thanks Paul, I will get a full gallery up on my site in the next week so will let you know when it is.
Old Oct 4, 2007, 9:47 AM   #10

The only bad thing about them is that, since they're priceless, you won't get paid enough. :-)
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote