Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Oct 24, 2007, 10:23 PM   #1

Did an outdoor portrait shoot this weekend for senior pics for one of my students. Not exactly my first time, but close to it. Would appreciate any comments and suggestions on how I can make them better.

#1 Fairly standard shot next to a tree
Attached Images

Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 24, 2007, 10:24 PM   #2

On #2 I had a washed out and distracting background, so I converted to B&W
Attached Images

Old Oct 24, 2007, 10:24 PM   #3

Final shot is with her mother
Attached Images

Old Oct 24, 2007, 11:06 PM   #4

Very nice, natural shots. I like them all. Mother and daughter portrait is my favourite.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2007, 11:23 AM   #5

Nicely done. #1 is my favorite.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2007, 9:31 PM   #6

The B & W shot looks great; the shot highlights all her features making a portrait ready for framing. The third shot came out really (I'm a B&W man from way back) well too, can't see anything to add to that shot. I like the pose in the second shot but have a couple of suggestion (if you don't mind). There is too much shadow on the face below her nose to her upper lip and the shadow on the tree is to strong also, taking the viewers eye away from her face. Using a reflector off to the side of the subject bouncing some light on both her face and the tree would make a big difference. An easy and cheap reflector to use is (works for me) a sun shield from a car, the type use to block sunlight from coming through the windshield onto the dashboard, then just have someone hold (I use my kids as tripods) up and you're all set.

Craig
Calicajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2007, 1:14 PM   #7

Exactly as above, really love the B&W shot, nothing more to Add, Also that shadow in the first pic is too overpowering causing a big distraction from the main subject.

the mother and daughter shot is a nice photo too although would have looked better if you had have fit more of her mother in as you seem to have cut her arm off. it would have been nice to see thier hands too IMO.

well done
Redsquare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2007, 5:45 PM   #8

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I was really proud of the B&W shot. Calicajun, I like your idea of the windshield reflector. That would be an easy thing to take along on an outdoor shot, and I can see it being very handy. Redsquare, I went back and checked the original shots before editing, and I cut the arm and hands off on the orginals, so I would have been better moving a little further away.

All shots were taken with the Pentax FA-50 at ISO 250. The one next to the tree was at f4 at 1/1600th with no exposure compensation. The B&W was taken at f1.4 to achieve minimum DOF. Shooting at an angle to a back sun forced me to go to +1.3 on exposure compensation. Shutter was 1/320. The mother-daughter shot was at 1/40th of a second with exposure compensation of -0.7. F-stop was at 4.0. All were taken with the Pentax K10d using aperture priority mode.
Old Nov 2, 2007, 12:40 AM   #9

nice subjects and backdrop, but i though the lighting and shadows are kind of harsh on #1 and on #3, you could have made the shot a little tighter, i don't like how you can see the bottom of mom's shirt.
ultraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2007, 1:52 AM   #10

nice images
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote