Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Dec 7, 2007, 7:57 PM   #1
Super Moderator

Hi All,

I've not been round for quite a long time so thought it best that I pull my finger out and post something.

Last weekend I was shooting families to raise money for our church to send people out on mission. I shot 14 families thought the day so it was pretty crazy to say the least, especially as I'm not an expert on my lights yet. Here are some of my faves, please let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Mark http://www.marksmithphotography.co.uk

Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 7, 2007, 8:18 PM   #2

They are all very nice.

I especially like #1, #7 & #9.

Thanks for sharing.

BTW, how sucessful was the fund raising?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2007, 10:05 PM   #3

Great work...I'd say you are doing great with those lights.
dmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2007, 3:31 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Thanks this is my 2nd timeof using my strobes and the first time of trying to really pose people so I'm happy with how they came out. More importantly the families have been really complimentary. After looking again I agree about the flatness, will ensure that I give them some pop before they are printed.

The photos only went up yesterday for sale so waiting for the orders to come in (one has already) and I'm hoping that it willbring in £500-£1000.
Old Dec 8, 2007, 9:43 AM   #5

....Mark

Very well done, I like the lighting and posing compositions and just a bit of 'pop' for print will make for a nice collection.

I hope the results are great for your efforts here.

Thanks for sharing, I enjoy seeing your work and reading your remarks.
Old Dec 8, 2007, 10:12 AM   #6

Mark1616 wrote:
Quote:
...After looking again I agree about the flatness, will ensure that I give them some pop before they are printed.
I think that, with a plain white background, you're going to get "flat".

I like them all, but the only criticism I can give is that, in #13, it seems that all the family members wearing dark cloths are on the right. Also, the father and, to a lesser extent, the son in the black & white gingham shirt, have their faces in shadow.

Other than that, it looks like you and they had fun, and the results turned out very well.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2007, 10:23 AM   #7
Super Moderator

TCav wrote:
Quote:
I like them all, but the only criticism I can give is that, in #13, it seems that all the family members wearing dark cloths are on the right. Also, the father and, to a lesser extent, the son in the black & white gingham shirt, have their faces in shadow.

Other than that, it looks like you and they had fun, and the results turned out very well.
I'm glad you mentioned that, I knew my lighting was not great on that but you are right that they darker clothes on that side are not helping either. Something to keep an eye on next time.
Old Dec 8, 2007, 10:32 AM   #8
Administrator

You must have a great rapport with your subjects. They look very comfortable with you, judging by the facial expressions (genuine smiles, laughter and more) in the images.

Super job.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2007, 8:35 PM   #9
spy

Good job Mark. I hope the fund raising went well. The posing looks fun, comfortable and is showing your wonderful talent of positioning these people.

You inspire me.

Kevin
spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2007, 9:58 AM   #10

Mark,

Great to see some posts again. I'll echo that I like most of the poses you've done here. Expressions are great! 11-13 are great shots. 13 to me has some of the best flesh tones. It seems the flesh tones are a bit washed out on some - 1 & 9 especially. As compared to say 3 & 13 where I think they're excellent. Unfortunately, I don't know what the fix is for that as I'm not very experienced at studio work. Hopefully someone more experienced can chime in.

What studio equipment are you using? Do you rent space or what? Just curious. If too off topic, just pm me. I'm debatng whether or not I want to start doing some of this type of work.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote