Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Jan 19, 2008, 8:38 AM   #1
Administrator

I was just going through a few folders with images from last month, and ran across a few snaphots I took of a guitar player in a local restaurant my wife and I eat at from time to time. I usually bring a camera along when they have live music.

These were taken with a hand held Sony DSLR-A700 wearing a Minolta 28mm f/2 Autofocus Lens, with the aperture wide open at f/2.

Converted from raw using UFRaw defaults, set to use camera's white balance settings. AHD was used as the algorithm, with a Linear conversion (I did not apply any additional tone curve or attempt to modify the exposure). No noise reduction or sharpening applied.

Shutter speeds are very slow in this lighting (or lack thereof). :-) So, don't judge what this camera is capable of by these.

ISO 2500, f/2, 1/15 second:

ISO 2500, f/2, 1/20 second:

ISO 2500, f/2, 1/20 second:

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 20, 2008, 12:50 PM   #2

Jim,
Those are great low light hand held shots.
ScottSteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2008, 7:48 AM   #3

Im impressed at the clarity for handheld and also the lack of noise. Ive given some detail which was hiding in the shadows.
Attached Images

Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2008, 8:40 AM   #4
Administrator

Bynx wrote:
Quote:
Im impressed at the clarity for handheld and also the lack of noise. Ive given some detail which was hiding in the shadows.
Why would you want it? I think those areas just detract from your subject. I often expose to leave most of the image in darker shadows on purpose for these types of shots.

Keeping the exposure a bit darker also enhances the ambience you have in low light, plus it really is quite dark in the bar area of this restaurant. So, keeping the exposure a bit dark matches what most people see there better.

Keeping most of the image darker was also the reason I used a Linear tone curve for the conversion from raw (versus one of the standard or custom curves available for this converter that would bring out more detail in the shadow areas). ;-)

Sometimes the lighting in this restaurant allows you to expose just for a musician's faces when they move around and lean just right into a light. But, in this case, I wasn't able to get that kind of effect (he was in the same spot for the entire time we were there).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2008, 10:34 AM   #5

Its your pic and you can present it any way you wish. But if you look at his hair and shoulder of his shirt you can see detail. Im sure you could see that detail when in the pub. For some reason many people print contrasy dark images ignoring lots of detail which is there and IMO should be brought out. Unless of course you are going for a very contrasty image.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 11:42 AM   #6

................I will jump in here and voice my 'like' and that is as originally presented.

In this case I agree with Jim regarding all that detail, the detail is distracting IMO and the clarity of the photo is diminished when the detail is brought out.

So, this time I disagree with your finishing John and side with Jim's.
_________
boBBrennan
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2008, 12:21 PM   #7

Thats fine Bob. Im glad someone has something to say instead of just looking. I still stand by what I did. Nothing is distracting and the lighting on the head and details in the dark areas is more preferential to my observation.