Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Jan 28, 2008, 3:00 AM   #1

Hi folks,

I'm starting a little mini project focusing on city life and its inhabitants.

Here is my first shot. Comments and critique more than welcome.

many thanks, Matt

longside1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 28, 2008, 3:59 AM   #2

Really very good start, Matt

- everything seems to be in order inspector! (one policeman to the other)*

:G
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2008, 7:09 AM   #3

First of all I think this is a great picture. But these kinds of photos bring up a lot of questions. I'm always hesitant to photograph people in compromising or unflattering positions (and believe me living here in NYC I have loads of opportunities) without getting some kind of permission or release. What if you wanted to have your work professionally published? I don't think any publisher would touch this photowithout a release from this exhausted gentleman. I'd like to hear from anybody out there who my have some knowledge regarding the legal issues regarding such photos.
BEECEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2008, 8:04 AM   #4

Hey Bahadir! thanks for the kind words of encouragement! More to follow soon!

BEECEE wrote:
Quote:
First of all I think this is a great picture. But these kinds of photos bring up a lot of questions. I'm always hesitant to photograph people in compromising or unflattering positions (and believe me living here in NYC I have loads of opportunities) without getting some kind of permission or release. What if you wanted to have your work professionally published? I don't think any publisher would touch this photowithout a release from this exhausted gentleman. I'd like to hear from anybody out there who my have some knowledge regarding the legal issues regarding such photos.
Thanks for the comment BEECEE. I appreciate what your're saying but in this instance the posted shot would not be made available for publishing, and would remain as part of my personal portfolio.
Old Jan 28, 2008, 9:06 AM   #5

Great picture! I, of course, love the 'captured pose' of the sleeper, but also like the gritty, darker feel of the photo. My eye keeps wandering to those two cops, though. I like juxtaposition of the people walking by - the cops just seem to change the story. (That may have been your intention, however. :-)

Aren't the laws much more relaxed in UK than the US regarding photos taken of people in public places? I read an article (sorry can't find it on-line) in the October 07 Issue of 'Digital Camera World' which ways "In the UK we all have the right to take pictures of people in public places, ..."

It's a great article if you can put your hands on it - (or find it online easier than me.) with some great advice for this very type of shooting. I was mostly jealous reading it, because our laws about taking people's pictures are much stricter in the US.

Would love to see more posts of your adventures in this project.
lostgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2008, 9:37 AM   #6

lostgirl wrote:
Quote:
Great picture! I, of course, love the 'captured pose' of the sleeper, but also like the gritty, darker feel of the photo. My eye keeps wandering to those two cops, though. I like juxtaposition of the people walking by - the cops just seem to change the story. (That may have been your intention, however. :-)

Aren't the laws much more relaxed in UK than the US regarding photos taken of people in public places? I read an article (sorry can't find it on-line) in the October 07 Issue of 'Digital Camera World' which ways "In the UK we all have the right to take pictures of people in public places, ..."

It's a great article if you can put your hands on it - (or find it online easier than me.) with some great advice for this very type of shooting. I was mostly jealous reading it, because our laws about taking people's pictures are much stricter in the US.

Would love to see more posts of your adventures in this project.
Thanks for the comments. I'm fairly sure that in the UK, so long as your're on public land then your can take a photo of members of the public and remain within the law.

Apart from this chap, all the other people that I shot that day had given me their consent. I basically approached them, told them what I was doing and then let them carry on with whatever they were doing. In 99% of the cases the individuals forgot I was shooting them.

Cheers, Matt
Old Jan 28, 2008, 2:13 PM   #7

Excellent street shot Matt..great lighting and perspective. It's a real treat to see you apply your considerable talents to a new subject matter. As for the legalities of shooting in the UK, I thought you might find the following a good read. Keep up the great work mate.

http://www.sirimo.co.uk/media/UKPhotographersRights.pdf
goomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2008, 3:27 PM   #8

The shot is great! I love the detail and style. The style and look of the boots and clothing remind me of a Ken Danby painting. On the subject of legal rights, Goomer do you have any info regarding the legalities of these types of photos in Canada. I am from Northern Ontario so the provincial laws may differ from BC, but any info would be great.

Again Matt the shot is great. I have really liked all of the shots you have posted here. Thanks, Jeremy
jerwilhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2008, 6:00 PM   #9

Hey Jerwilhelm,
Here's a link that I've found useful for Canada. Of course these are just general guidelines, as one would have to have a law degree to wade through the endless statutes, case law, by-laws, etc that might apply in any particular case. But at least there's some general info that can be helpful in avoiding the major pitfalls of taking photos in public in an increasingly skiddish world. :-)

http://ambientlight.ca/laws.shtml
goomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2008, 8:37 PM   #10

Didn't think I like the shot at first.Then after realizing that I was only seeing 80% of the total picture and then adjusting (moved the slide bar on the screen) the monitor, it jumped out as one great shot.
Calicajun is offline   Reply With Quote