Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Sep 17, 2003, 9:56 PM   #1

Default 1st session with tripod

I bought a tripod yesterday and tonight my girlfriend was nice enough to stop over and let me take some pictures of her. Indoor pictures are not what I was thinking of when I bought the tripod but this gave me a chance to get familiar with aiming the camera. I think I have a lot to learn and I'm looking forward to spending a lot of time with my camera and the tripod.

Camera Model: Canon PowerShot G5
Shutter speed: 1/8 sec
Aperture: 2.5
Exposure mode: Program
Flash: Off
Metering mode: Evaluative
ISO: Auto
Lens: 7.0 to 28.0 mm
Focal length: 14.0mm
Subject distance: 1.65 m
AF mode: Single AF
White balance: Tungsten
Joshua B is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 18, 2003, 11:30 AM   #2

Joshua, I am not a portrait shooter by nature but I will tell you one thing I've learned about tripods. NEVER shoot down! Lower the tripod or raise the model to put the camera at eyelevel. Some one knowegeable may come along and tell us differently but I know what looks pleasing to the eye and thats what I go for. Have fun with your tripod. It is a great extension to any camera's use.
Tomsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2003, 11:35 AM   #3

Wow I totally forgot about that after I set up the tripod. You have a good eye to notice the camera was angled down. No wonder I post my pictures here instead of dpreview. I feel much safer posting my attempts here.
Old Sep 18, 2003, 11:39 AM   #4

Oh, about the portrait you took, the harsh line between the couch and the stark wall is some what of a distraction. I would try some different backgrounds . For an indoor shot the lighting did fairly well. Try some with differnt lighting for a softer appearance. Put a tissue over the flash or turn it off and experiment with natural light. It makes for stunning effects.
Old Sep 19, 2003, 3:08 PM   #5

Thanks for the advice. I will remember that if I decide to try a real portrait. I'm really just getting the feel of the tripod and learning how to adjust it. Last night I took some twilight pics of my local ski hill after hiking up and down. I set up in the parking lot and got some pics looking up one of the liftlines. Nothing outstanding enough from that session to post here.

Hey, I'm surprised not one person offered any compliment on my girlfriend!
Old Sep 19, 2003, 5:23 PM   #6

Nothing suprises me anymore. Images that I think are striking are ignored and others are commented on by everyone. You can't figure out what people will like. This is why I have always shot what I liked, I don't take photographs to please anyone but myself. I am sorry that in my response that I addressed only the technical merrits of your photo. When you look at an image to critique it you should lookat the image with emotion or a critical eye? Also one should never share a photo with the public if you are having very deep feelings about the subject. If you do you must be prepared for public response which may or may not view the image and have the same depth of feelings. Post a pic of a baby kitten and some one doesn't like cats? A snake, a spider, or and old woman that they can't see the beauty in even though see has been my mate for over forty years. Once again I'm sorry I only addressed the technical aspects of your image. Its a lesson well learned by us all, thank you for reminding me to be human.
Old Sep 19, 2003, 5:56 PM   #7

Lighten up bro, and stop drinking Haterade.
Old Sep 19, 2003, 10:32 PM   #8

Hi Joshua, I agree with Tomsch about the eye level, and for more, to me the subject looks like is being shot for passport photographies. I hope you know what I mean. For portrait shots it's nice to shoot people while they don't feel the presence of a camera around them. Even when a person looks at you, it should have the look of seeing you and not freezing like he or she is being executed by a camera

A friend of mine in a bar

Also another thing is that it's best for photo portraits to fill in the picture most of the face inside the photo frame. Another more is having the subject with nice background colours, either natural, either artificial. The sky blue t-shirt is not a good combination with the dark red sofa while having a white background behind.

You can have your gf to move her head towards something else around and then keep her eyes fixed on you (try this out) and be sure the camera is focuses on the eyes and not on the distance of ears. Try both sharp and soft options for the portrait. Eyes need sharp photo, while other part of the subject looks better in soft mode, like the hair or the skin etc.
DriniS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2003, 11:37 PM   #9

Geez guys, this is getting ridiculous. Although I respectfully thank you for your good technique suggestions, I want to say again, I had just bought a tripod and asked her to come over so I could get the feel for the tripod, you know, controlling the direction of the camera, etc. It was the absolute first time I had ever used a tripod. I think I too hastily posted a photo of the session. Let's move on.
Old Sep 27, 2003, 7:52 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua B
I think I too hastily posted a photo of the session. Let's move on.
I disagree, I have learned a lot from the comments.
chuck biddinger is offline   Reply With Quote