Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Jul 26, 2002, 10:35 PM   #1

Default Denver Broncos First Day Training Camp....

Just a test of the AI Servo with 100-400IS on the EOS-1D at the first day of training camp.
It's a pass play sequence - "you stepped on my foot" ... "hey man, you pulled me down" as the wrinkles get ironed out for the season.

EXIF data attached to reduced sized 800x600's working at 1/1000th at ISO 560 - F8
Looks like the combination is quite capable of following a sequence action in reasonable light.

Lin
Click link to page: http://lin-evans.org/football/football.htm

[Edited on 8-22-2002 by Lin Evans]

Last edited by Lin Evans; Feb 1, 2015 at 5:37 PM.
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 31, 2002, 8:33 PM   #2

Hey really like your pics!
Great job they are great.
Which camera did you use ?

love the broncos!
wvyankeegurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2002, 10:32 PM   #3

Hi Nanc,
Thank's - I used the Canon EOS-1D..

Best regards,

Lin
Old Jul 31, 2002, 10:50 PM   #4

Lin

I really like your pics, ive been looking at higher pix cameras for later on down the road for me. I love my E100RS.
But later on I want a higher pix , that one sounds really good, ive been looking at the Nikon D1 , ive saw two people at Softball tournaments with those taken pics and then printing them and saling them to the players.
But yours seems to be a little better with the fps. How long have you had yours?
Im just a rookie but love to take pics.
Also I bet you had one of those great big lenses on it. Sorry for so many questions.

When you take the pics in sequence mode, do you snap each one yourself or when you hold it down it snaps them one after another. Just wondering , i would love to test one of those , they dont have anything like that around here.

thanks!
Old Aug 1, 2002, 12:34 AM   #5

Hi Nanc,
It's a 4 megapixel sensor with 8 frames per second while the D1 is a 2.6 megapixel sensor with 5 frames per second.

The lens I used is a stabilized zoom which goes from 100mm to 400mm. At 100mm it's F/4 at 300mm it's still F4 but at 400mm it's F5.6. The removable lens digital SLR cameras have a smaller than 35mm frame sensor. Depending on the camera you get anywhere from 1.6 (Canon D60, D30) to 1.5 (Nikon D1, D1H, D1X, Fuji S1, Fuji S2) to 1.3 (Canon EOS-1D, Kodak DCS-760, etc.) crop factor. Mine, being an EOS-1D has a 1.3X crop factor which simply is sort of like having a 1.3x telephoto on your E-100RS so that the effective focal length at 400mm is 1.3 times 400 or 520mm.

You can set the burst speed for up to 8 frames per second by menu. It will shoot 3, 5 or 8 frames (actually a tiny bit more than 8 frames per second). Like your E100-RS, it keeps shooting as long as you hold down the shutter until the buffer is full. Depending on whether you are shooting in jpg or RAW mode it will fire off 16 to 23 frames before it has to wait to clear the buffer.

The primary difference for sport use between the E-100RS and the removable lens dSLR's are that with the E-100RS metering, white balance and focus are set on the half press of the shutter and are fixed between shots. With the dSLR's all this is done for each shot rather than once and used for all the shots in the burst. Also, the camera has predictive AI servo which calculates where the focus needs to be and sets it accordingly based on the first frame as a subject moves toward or away from the camera at high rates of speed. This allows tracking football players or airplanes or racing cars as the come toward the camera or move away at high speeds.

I've had this camera since they were first available and use it primarily for sports. I have a D30 which I use for still subjects. Both are great cameras.

Best regards,

Lin
Old Aug 1, 2002, 12:49 AM   #6

Thanks Lin!

That really helps, Im just learning about some of this lingo.
Each time im on this site I learn more.
Maybe some time next year Ill be ready and can afford one of those bigger cameras lol. But i really love my E100, ive been real happy with it.
But i really would love to play with one of those like yours. I guess ill have to wait , i currently dont know anyone who has one I could test. There is a guy from WV close by that takes pro. shots ill have to check out his site. Mayb pay him a visit ,lol.
Anyway thanks so much , you take great shots !