ecap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2008, 10:06 PM   #12

Attached Images

Old May 18, 2008, 10:07 PM   #13

Attached Images

Old May 19, 2008, 4:09 AM   #14

That's been adelightful session, I believe, from which#1, #4 & #11 appealed to me! However,theoverexposed areas, especially when on her face, tends to be a bit disturbing, imo. Iinvariably usespotmeteringfor such scenesespecially when using the fill flash, which has worked so far.Keep up the good work, mate, as well as theinspirational model : )
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2008, 8:09 AM   #15

thanks for the feedback.

number 1 is my choice also.

I was using a reflector that day which caused most of the overexposure but it definately eliminated the shadows from her face, now i just need to control it better. Maybe stop the aperture down more. #11 was done with the gold reflector i really liked the "warmth" it added to the shot. Any other feedback greatly apprecitated and any tips on using reflectors appreciated as well... feel free to edit these and make changes, ecap..
Old May 19, 2008, 10:01 AM   #16
Super Moderator

I always run out of ideas when doing portraits so you have done well. I think in PP you have applied too much sharpening for posting but that's only minor and not anything technical with your shooting. I would suggest shooting in manual or going for spot metering and using the face rather than metering on the whole scene.

Another bit of advice (which I don't always remember when shooting) is if it bends, bend it. So those locked arms and legs will then look more natural. Also, a lady should never be looking straight at the camera with her body/head.

I like number 11 the best, only let down by her right eye.

Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2008, 1:04 PM   #17

i know this is going to sound dumb but could you elaborate on not looking straight on at the camera.

Maybe post an example of what you are talking about.

These photos are not edited they are straight out of the camera minus some cropping but i was taking flower and sunset pictures previously and forgot to turn the saturation down, i had it all the way up oops. All shots were done with sony a700 with either sigma 24-70 f2.8 or sigma 70-200 f2.8 aperture was 7.1 for just about all the shots some were f4. Thanks for the help always looking for as much help as possible.
Old May 19, 2008, 4:57 PM   #18

ecap wrote:
Quote:
i know this is going to sound dumb but could you elaborate on not looking straight on at the camera.

These photos are not edited they are straight out of the camera minus some cropping but i was taking flower and sunset pictures previously and forgot to turn the saturation down, i had it all the way up oops. All shots were done with sony a700 with either sigma 24-70 f2.8 or sigma 70-200 f2.8 aperture was 7.1 for just about all the shots some were f4. Thanks for the help always looking for as much help as possible.
hey ecap, those are some really big uh... oak trees you grow out there in WV. :lol: :lol: I agree with what mark says, plus several shots seem to be off kilter just a bit. I took one and rotated it just a tad. Had to crop too just to square it up.
I think the reason mark thought you had over-sharpened your photos, is when you resized them you reduced the pixel count along with the size of the picture. I keep mine at the highest quality as I can and just make the size smaller. 700 pix for the largest dimension.
Also try this, tell your model to think about something really pleasant, like a romantic walk on a deserted moon lit beach in Waikiki … it can really soften up the whole look of the shoot.

Attached Images

Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2008, 5:31 PM   #19
Super Moderator

ecap wrote:
Quote:

From your own shots 4, 6, 7 and 10 are more what I'm thinking when it comes to the head. The general limit of turn is so that the nose does not break the side of the face.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2008, 5:40 PM   #20

thanks for the feedback guys, mark i think i understand what you are talking about.

this is a pretty good friend of mine so sure there will be more of her and a couple of other friends. A friend is renting me some space to put a studio in very shortly so i am going to be practicing like crazy for a while so be brutally honest when evaluating these, i can take it. Also the only resizer i have is a quick resixer how can i reduce the size without reducing the pixel count as goldwing was talking about.

thanks, ecap