Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Jul 8, 2008, 12:24 AM   #1

These are some Senior Photos of my niece. These three are my favorite. These were taken at Union Station in Kansas City, Missouri with my old 20D anda Tokina 28-70 F/2.8.

toothlesrooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 8, 2008, 12:41 AM   #2

Only see two. I love the first one. It is moody and well exposed. I hope she likes it also. The other is properly exposed and is a nice photo but is not moody enough for me.

Best,

Bill
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2008, 10:24 AM   #3

I, too, like the first one a lot. Very moody, nice exposure, and it looks great in B&W. Kudos!
HughesInNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2008, 11:13 AM   #4

The third one is a "moody" one as well. It was working whenI posted it at home, but see now at work that it's not. I'll see what I can do about fixing it on my lunch break.
Old Jul 8, 2008, 8:05 PM   #5

There we go. The third one should show as well now.
Old Jul 9, 2008, 4:47 AM   #6
Super Moderator

Always great to see someone coming back to Steve's after a break and posting some nice shots as well.

Another vote for the 1st shot, a well composed and exposed photo creating a natural look.

The 2nd and 3rd look more uncomfortable/unnatural unfortunately. #2 is let down mainly by the hand/arm positions. Although the left arm in the first shot is similar to the right arm in the 2nd the angle really makes it look rigid. One point that I was taught when taking portrait shots (and I still forget sometimes) is if it bends, bend it, so no joint should be straight :-)

#3 as with #1 has fantastic lighting but your niece doesn't quite look comfortable sitting there.

I hope you don't mind my critique, but I see some real potential in your work and would love to see more..... if you could get all shots at the same level as the first you would be very well set and I would personally be happy with creating such results myself too!!!

Happy shooting,

Mark
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2008, 8:56 AM   #7

I don't mind the critique at all! Thanks for the pointers. I'll keep the "bent" rule in mind. I'm always learnin and trying to apply rules and suggestions and now that you mention it, it makes sense to keep arms and what not bent, to look natural and not rigid.

Thanks!
Old Jul 9, 2008, 9:47 AM   #8
Super Moderator

toothlesrooster wrote:
Quote:
I don't mind the critique at all! Thanks for the pointers. I'll keep the "bent" rule in mind. I'm always learnin and trying to apply rules and suggestions and now that you mention it, it makes sense to keep arms and what not bent, to look natural and not rigid.

Thanks!
Don't forget rules are there to be broken, however I think it is best to get great shots within the rules so you can understand how breaking them will add a different effect so you can see what works and what doesn't.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote