Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Aug 14, 2008, 3:35 PM   #1

This is my first post. Naturally, it's a question.

About shooting in the portrait area, is it necessary to spend the big bucks to buy the most well known photo software, whose initials are P S? Are there less expensive alternatives?

I am not interested in massive photo manipulation. All I want to do is smooth out some facial blemishes.

Any suggestions are appreciated.
izin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 14, 2008, 5:44 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Hi and welcome to Steve's!!!

I personally use Paint Shop Pro X (there are newer versions) as although I have Photoshop CS3 I've been a PSP user for a long time and find it much faster for what I want.

Another piece of software I use for special photos is Portrait Professional which is a great simple to use tool for enhancing faces, removing blemishes etc very simply buy moving sliders.

Here are 2 photos showing what can be done with real people. These took a couple of minutes with Portrait Pro to change face shape, skin, lips, eyes etc..... this is not extreme but it does enhance the photo and you can do more or less if you like.

1 original

Attached Images

Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2008, 5:44 PM   #3
Super Moderator

2 modified
Attached Images

Old Aug 14, 2008, 6:04 PM   #4

There is lost of photo software out there. Much of it quit capable of doing the task and many others. And most of it is available in trial form for download so you can decide which you like best.

Try

Photoshop Elements: This is a scaled down version of the program but still good. The only thing missing, that you might someday wish you had, is layer mask, and there is a workaround for that.

Paintshop Pro: Many people seem to prefer this over Photoshop

Do a goolge search you will find many more ranging in price from free to a couple of hundred dollars.

Many of these except Photoshop plug ins for added effects

For blemishes I have found the "healing brush" in photoshop works well and I believe this is also in elements. If you shoot RAW format Elements also has Adobe Camera Raw

tjsnaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2008, 12:13 PM   #5

This was taken at a "Head Shot" session for a model portfolio. All corrections done in Elements 2.0. I know this is an old program but still one of my favorites. Mostly done with the "blur" tool and the cloning tool. Eyes sharpened slightly.
Attached Images

DMJJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2008, 1:18 PM   #6
Super Moderator

DMJJR wrote:
Quote:
This was taken at a "Head Shot" session for a model portfolio. All corrections done in Elements 2.0. I know this is an old program but still one of my favorites. Mostly done with the "blur" tool and the cloning tool. Eyes sharpened slightly.
Don't forget that if you adjust the colour temperature/white balance that the teeth and the whites of the eyes are subsequently corrected back as to not leave them cream
Old Aug 16, 2008, 2:33 PM   #7

I use Paint Shop Pro X for most all the photos I take, even though I do have PS CS2. It's fast, easy and very powerful, of course PSPXII does even more.
Calicajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2008, 10:21 PM   #8

I agree...Portrait Professional is awesome.
photowed is offline   Reply With Quote