Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Oct 7, 2003, 6:39 PM   #1

Default My first Jurors Choice award

It surprised me but I got a Jurors Choice award in the "Northwest Life" themed exhibition at a local academy/gallery. Out of the three of mine that were accepted I probably wouldn't have chosen this one for an award, but I'm still happy.

It was taken as we were leaving the Folklife Festival in Seattle, WA. There were a lot of people, hehe. When the print is framed the guy on the right gets cut in half, but I guess it doesn't matter. Handheld, with that handy swivel LCD on the G3 it was easy to get a decent shot. Never thought it would win an award.
The Photo Tuell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 7, 2003, 7:58 PM   #2

Kudos on that award, photo tuell!!!
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2003, 11:36 PM   #3

Default Congrats!

Was it published too? If so, you have a tear-sheet...quite a big accomplishment!
Old Oct 8, 2003, 1:23 AM   #4

First of all congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now I don't want to take anything away from your accompishment, but I was wondering. I took this pic last month at the minnesota State fair. It's amazingly similar but I think yours is better. Can you or anyone tell me why yours is better? I can't put my finger on it.

I'm working on getting a better pic linked here but for some reason my link to my photozo web site isn't working.

here's a link to a larger version

http://www.photozo.com/album/data/50...ate_fair-1.jpg
Tbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2003, 3:14 AM   #5

Congratulations on your acheivement!

I am not a jurer, but I can imagine that they are looking for a certain something. It may be that they wanted a picture that showed the masses of people as well as portraying a feeling or mood of those people. The first picture does that...you have a close-up of happy people as well as a packed version of the masses behind.
The second photo shows the mass of people also, but there is space between the people in the foreground, so it does not come across as so dramatically packed as the first one.
Both pictures are technically similar, but I think the second one is missing an emotional 'punch'...hehe...if that makes sense.
Soundengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2003, 12:16 PM   #6

Thanks all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbel
Can you or anyone tell me why yours is better? I can't put my finger on it.
Let's see. Like you said, they are almost the same but with some differences.

Mine was taken at full zoom (with a G2), your's looks like it's more of a wide angle shot. Everybody looks more spread out in yours, mine has them tightly packed in the narrow aisle with no ground visible at all. I like how mine has only trees at the top of the frame, yours has trees with some sky. I think the three people in the front of your shot with their backs turned might be overpowering the rest of the people. In the distance of your shot it's flat, in mine there is a hill so that the people stay in view better.

Interesting comparing them, heh.
Old Oct 9, 2003, 1:45 AM   #7

In the first picture, your eyes just automatically follow the mass of people all the way down. Not so much in the second one. Also, I like that the people are bigger up front in the first picture. It also looks more packed, as already pointed out. Full zoom will help with that (longer focal length will compress the perspective, wide angle will do the opposite).

Barthold
barthold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2003, 2:52 AM   #8

You know, sometimes it takes winning an award to realize how good a shot really is. This one was made easy by using the G2 held above my head, and like most 'point and shoot' digitals (with small sensor so not much DoF) everything is in focus. I counted over 250 people, heh.

Here's a 100% crop of the center. Can even read the sign in the distance. The haze is smoke from the food stands. I like how you can see someones face through the balloon animal. For a quick shot as we were leaving the festival I'm amazed, hehe.