Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Aug 19, 2008, 11:00 PM   #1

Hello, campers.

Well, I haven't posted in a while for various reasons. Last week, my car got broken into, and guess what the jerks happened upon! That's right; a Sony Alpha with 2 lenses and an external flash, not to mention a couple memory cards and spare batteries.

Well, insurance isn't covering the cost, so I have to buy a new camera. Too bad my job doesn't start for another two weeks, and I'm poor, but whatever.

The real bind is that I have agreed to shoot a wedding in the Dominican Republic. Before i hear the round of condemnation regarding my inexperience (read: no experience) and the lack of extra equipment, please note the following:

1. I was very strongly pressured into doing this wedding, and protested it at length. It came down to the bride and groom explaining that if I wouldn't do it, they would not have anyone do it.

2. I was going to buy a second camera around Christmas, despite everyone telling me "YOU DON'T NEED ONE!!" I realize how important a second camera is for something like this, you don't need to remind me.

So, that's the situation. i'm pretty gutted about it. I don't know what to do, and i don't know what to buy. I'm considering buying a d80 and sb-600, and then maybe buying a d40 as a second cam (if i can afford it). if i can't afford it, maybe borrow a nikon from a friend? who knows.

advice?
Dr. Mr. Vandertramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 19, 2008, 11:08 PM   #2

Sorry to hear about your luck...man I bet that just made you sick...I am so sorry....maybe you can rent a camera for event...
photowed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2008, 11:36 PM   #3

Speaking from the experience here in the USA...have you tired your homeowners insurance policy? If your car was at home (and sometimes not) your homeowners policy will cover things that your auto policy won't.

Might be worth the time to contact your homeowner insurance company.

Just a thought.

Becky
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2008, 11:51 PM   #4

Unfortunately, Becky, I don't have homeowner's. I've just moved, and I'm just beginning my career. Haven't had enough cash flow to get homeowner's insurance. Thanks for the thought, though!
Old Aug 20, 2008, 12:53 AM   #5

Really sorry to hear about your loss. If you are near, or in Toronto, there is likely to be a place where you could rent the photo gear you need for the wedding. If you stick with the equipment you are familiar with, you will likely do a better job of it than if you are learnig new gear at the same time as trying to learn wedding photography OJT. For a backup, you might look into an advanced point&shoot as well. Under good lighting, the picture quality isn't going to be a problem.

I got talked into doing a wedding shoot this summer, and I wouldn't normally, but it worked out well, and the B&G are happy, though I didn't consider it my best work.

Good luck.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2008, 2:24 AM   #6

Thanks for the reply, brian. my girlfriend's parents have a very nice Panasonic ultrazoom that i could definitely use as a backup considering the likeliness of actually needing a backup and the light on the beach; as well, her friend has a few nikons kicking around and i could probably bring one of those along.

As for familiarity, I agree that in a perfect world i should go back to sony since I'm familiar with their system. On the other hand, I worked in camera sales for a bit and I have had time to play with the D80 on a number of occasions. I fell in love with it immediately, but i ended up winning the alpha and thought i was committed to that system.
Old Aug 20, 2008, 2:25 AM   #7

also photowed, i meant to thank you earlier for your reply : )
Old Aug 20, 2008, 5:21 PM   #8
Super Moderator

Sorry to hear about that, it's a really nasty situation!

How long until you have to go and shoot the wedding, do you have to purchase now or have you some time?
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2008, 11:07 PM   #9

I've got about 6 months, maybe 7. A fair chunk of time, and I will definitely be able to get at least one camera in the meantime. Like i say, i start my very first year of teaching in a week and a half (:O) so the money will start rolling in soon...

Old Aug 21, 2008, 11:03 AM   #10

Dear friend, so sorry to hear about your loss I'd lend you mine for the occasion if you werenear where I live! I think I know you enough to say that...Well, if you're looking for an affordablesolution to tide you over, I'd suggestthe D40x (you might even consider a second hand one as I did) That's a camera you can get on well after a few shots!! I remember using it for a partyrelying on board flashand pattern metering only...and did not bother with anything else except filling the frame with the subjects and pressing the shutter release!!...to seehow wellthe meteringworked wasting not a single shot.
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote